BBC Call Capello as staying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

They didn't really have a choice having backed themselves in a corner with his pre-tournament contract.

Although we were rubbish, I blame the players mainly. Capello looked like the only one who actually cared if we won or lost most of the time.

I can't see any other managers available that are viable alternatives anyway TBH.

OP
OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think he should stay, but I thought he might be going (even though it'd cost a considerable amount of money). People seemed to angry and too many people don't seem to rate him anymore (and overate alternatives).

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Good news - most of the players are well past their best and in the case of Gerrard and Lampard have never shone for England like they do for Liverpool and Chelsea.

PaulB

Legendary Member
accountantpete said:
Good news - most of the players are well past their best and in the case of Gerrard and Lampard have never shone for England like they do for Liverpool and Chelsea.

Aye, international football seems to be full of those examples; Rooney and several others this time around as well as the two 'ard' men (see what I did there?) Down the years there were the likes of Johnny Barnes for instance who always played well for his club and therefore was an automatic choice in an England shirt, and then looked like a fish out of water when he wore one. That's either rank bad management or good (club) management temporary unavailable.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Hopefully he'll learn from the World Cup debacle and not pick injured and unfit players, and change the system if it needs to be, and confine Heskey to the history books, and stop dyeing his hair.

Davidc

Guru
Several teams crashed badly and need to be re-formed. Italy, France and England are the headliners. Perhaps Brazil should be added to the list.

Capello could come good if he thinks in terms of building a new champion team, not another team of champions.

As marinyork says, where's the replacement manager who's so much better?

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
Booting Terry out would be a good start. He's well past his sell-by date and the cause of ill feeling in the squad.

Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but he's only made to look good when he plays for Chelsea because he has Carvalho alongside him tidying up.

Rebel Ian

PaulB said:
Down the years there were the likes of Johnny Barnes for instance who always played well for his club and therefore was an automatic choice in an England shirt, and then looked like a fish out of water when he wore one.

Apart from scoring arguably the greatest goal England have ever scored and ripping the Argentinian defence to pieces in 1986 when he was given 10 minutes at the end of the game!! Other than that, what have the Romans done for us ;)

mangaman

Rebel Ian said:
Apart from scoring arguably the greatest goal England have ever scored and ripping the Argentinian defence to pieces in 1986 when he was given 10 minutes at the end of the game!! Other than that, what have the Romans done for us :laugh:

I can't argue with either of those comments Ian, but he played 79 games and scored 12 goals for England. He was an unbelievable player I remember during his pomp at Liverpool.

For England the goal against Brazil in a friendly and 10 minutes against Argentina in 1986 are a disappointing international career for a guy who week in/week out was one of the best players in the league.

I can't remember him doing anything much else at all for England?

Rebel Ian

mangaman said:
I can't argue with either of those comments Ian, but he played 79 games and scored 12 goals for England. He was an unbelievable player I remember during his pomp at Liverpool.

For England the goal against Brazil in a friendly and 10 minutes against Argentina in 1986 are a disappointing international career for a guy who week in/week out was one of the best players in the league.

I can't remember him doing anything much else at all for England?

Barnesy was an out and out winger and was played as such. Problem with wingers deployed like that is if you don't give them the ball they become useless.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As Capello won every competition that as a manager his teams entered, does that mean that he instantly became a bad manager when he took over the England national team?

Rebel Ian

Paulus said:
As Capello won every competition that as a manager his teams entered, does that mean that he instantly became a bad manager when he took over the England national team?

He clearly isn't a bad manager at a club level. Whether he is or not at International level is very much still open to debate. It requires a totally different approach at International level that he might not be able to adapt to.

Top Bottom