BBC Look East - "run em down"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
As a human (Ive checked and I do fall within the category), it makes me sad that there appears to be a total disregard for his wellbeing. This incident, at its simplest level involves a person being hit by a large, heavy, moving machine. It could have been a far worse outcome if he had fallen badly, bumped his head etc - Would people's attitude still have been one of financial concern over perceived road ownership?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Probably... the BBC would be airing the view that as a cyclist he shouldn't have been there in the first place :laugh::laugh:

Copied from Sheffield Forum (not my post) where the monthly "but they don't pay road tax and ride on the road when there is a cycle path" thread is going round and round in its usual circles.

spindrift said:
to:

look.east@bbc.co.uk

Dear Sir

Your news report here was irresponsible, dishonest and serves to demonise people based on their mode of transport:

http://ipayroadtax.com/?p=399

Why on earth was the decision made to carry the ignorant and aggressive comments from people who seem to think any cyclist injured on the roads is to blame because they don't pay a non-existent tax?

This makes me so depressed and angry, you are inciting violence, almost, against people who have done nothing wrong.

Suppose you carried an feature about car drivers complaining at parking fines and then broiadcast a comment along the lines of

"Who cares what car drivers say- they killed Diana!"

Equally as absurd and unhelpful.

Your feature and decision to report those hateful remarks may well make the roads more dangerous, what were you thinking of?

Regards

spindrift

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Copied from Sheffield Forum (not my post) where the monthly "but they don't pay road tax and ride on the road when there is a cycle path" thread is going round and round in its usual circles.

I've seen that forum. Found it in one of my google searches for interesting cycling stories. :biggrin: Spindrift.. username rings a bell, cant remember why.

Downward

Guru
"They" so I am now classed as a They when I cycle but an equal when driving ? Cheeky gets, I pay more VED then most of these misinformed fools and I'm getting less for my money too (20 miles per week tops costing me £210 Tax, £400 Insurance and £5 per week Petrol)

Crankarm

Guru
g00se said:
Grrrr.....

http://ipayroadtax.com/?p=399

"Dear Mr BBC, why oh why oh why are your viewers such t**ts..." email has been sent.

The calibre of BBC editorial staff has fallen dramatically. This article doesn't surprise me. What should have been a human interest story, a cyclist knocked down was turned into a one sided irrelevant attack by the BBC on cyclists. I'm sure they could have sought comment from RosPA, the CTC, a few cycling clubs, even the IAM. The Editors of BBC Look East are obviously as thick as pig sh1t to broadcast such rot which has NO relevance to the cyclist being knocked off, but re-enforces negative stereotypical views against cyclists and cycling. But unfortunately it seems par for the course for the BBC who have a cycle hating agenda. Afterall they endorse and promote the chef James Martin who has advocated running cyclists down for a laugh! I don't believe anyone at the BBC rides a bicycle :becool:.

I complained about that awful Jeremy Vine show following the most recent article featuring the cyclist who was dangerously close passed and abused by a driver driving a company van. The cyclist contacted the company who then after an investigation sacked the driver. I complained about the comments the editors of that show selected to be read out, one comment, a particularly nasty comment, read out by JV in a sneering fashion that "cyclists should not be on the road as their rights are void.."

I complained on the grounds that it was offensive, incited motorists to drive dangerously around or at cyclists, promoted a negative view of cyclists and cycling, was totally irrelevant to the instant story, fell well below the standards of editorial direction that the BBC as a public broadcastor strives to achieve and does not promote the safety of minority groups of road users such as cyclists. I pointed out that cyclists are very vulnerable on the roads and there have been instances where cyclists have been deliberately run down and killed. The instant story was a case in point where the driver was sacked. I also queried why only 6 minutes was allotted to the story while we had 50 mintues previously of the respective party politicians bickering about education, after which I was still none the wiser as to what each was proposing.

This is the response I received from the BBC,

Thanks for your e-mail about 'Jeremy Vine' broadcast on 13 April.

I understand that you were unhappy with the item about the van driver who was sacked after being reported to his company for his driving and behaviour by a cyclist - you suggest that our standards of reporting have slipped. I note that you believe that Jeremy introduced the item as "the cyclist who got an employee sacked" which you felt was incorrect and you feel this perpetuates negative images of cyclists.

I acknowledge that you feel that there wasn't sufficient time spent on this item compared to the time given to the item on education as part of our election coverage. I also understand that you were unhappy with the listeners' comments at the end of the programme as you felt two of them were offensive to cyclists, with one suggesting that the opinions of cyclists are void. You also state that you were unhappy with Jeremy's comment following this which stated "I must say nothing much is void around here".

I can assure you that it wasn't our intent to promote a negative image of cyclists on the roads. In fact, Jeremy Vine went to some lengths to explain the situation and the dangerous driving which led to the van driver being sacked. We don't have an anti-cycling agenda as you suggest.

I'd like to assure you that we're committed to honest, unbiased reporting but it's not always possible or practical to reflect all the different opinions on a subject within individual programmes.

We don't seek to denigrate any view or to promote any view. Our aim is to identify all significant views and to test them rigorously and fairly on behalf of the audience. Among other evidence, audience research indicates widespread confidence in the impartiality of our reporting.

Although this item seemed relatively short, we feel that we were able to provide some of the viewpoints from both cyclists and motorists. We included the views of the cyclist involved and the opinions of the van driver's employers who gave reasons for why he was sacked, as well as a listener's comment stating the responsibility of motorists to drive with due care and attention - these viewpoints explained the need for motorists to be respectful of cyclists on the road.

We also included the views of two listeners who feel that cyclists are a problem on the roads - this allowed for contrasting views to be broadcast.

While I understand that you felt Jeremy's comment at the end was flippant, I feel I should point out that he was suggesting to the listener who commented that cyclists' opinions are void, that we don't believe that any opinion is void. This is different from what the listeners said and what you've suggested.

I realise you were disappointed with the length of the item compared to the previous one on education and the election. However, the selection of a Government has ramifications for everyone and the period of canvassing up to polling day is an essential part of our democratic process. It's, therefore, essential that as part of the process of choosing a new Government, the BBC should devote significant time to covering the promises and aspirations of all significant parties taking part in the election. The BBC has a commitment to cover the election impartially and in doing so must provide enough air time to allow fairness. Meanwhile, within that context, we do our best to ensure proper coverage of news developments about matters unrelated to the UK General Election as well.

I do appreciate your feedback about this item and realise that you were concerned about the way in which cyclists were represented. Therefore, please be assured that I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Leanne Bennett
BBC Complaints

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of my complaint to the BBC.

shippers

Here's mine...

With regards the report featuring a cyclist being knocked from his cycle, in broad daylight whilst cycling down a wide, open road and submitting the footage, it appeared that the presenter comment, and the seection of comments from the public were consistantly anti-cyclist.
Cyclists don't pay road tax so shouldn't be on the roads, etc.
It would have been nice to have some recognition of the numbers of cyclists killed or injured on UK roads- 820 in the second quarter of 2009 alone- and the ecidence in the footage shows that this was clearly the fault of the driver.
Indeed, your presenter then goes on to read out- unchallenged- a comment along the lines of "Why do cyclists think they have the right to complain about cars"!!
I feel this incredibly one sided reporting feeds the anti-cycist feeling on the roads and will only lead to more accidents as motorists will see cyclists as a problem on the roads rather than an equal road user.
Quickly covering the "Road tax" argument.
1- Road Tax was abolished many years ago, and replaced with Vehicle Excise Duty.
2- This is charged on how polluting your vehicle is- some cars don't incur duty yet are accorded respect on the roads
3- most cyclists also own cars and so pay VED; using their cycle rather than the car simply wears the road out less.
Thank you.

dondare

Über Member
shippers said:
Quickly covering the "Road tax" argument.
1- Road Tax was abolished many years ago, and replaced with Vehicle Excise Duty.
2- This is charged on how polluting your vehicle is- some cars don't incur duty yet are accorded respect on the roads
3- most cyclists also own cars and so pay VED; using their cycle rather than the car simply wears the road out less.
Thank you.

Leave out no. 3.
Rather say that cyclists pay the taxes that pay for the roads irrespective of whether they own a car or not.

"Road tax" does not pay for the roads and is therefore irrelevant.

Fixedwheelnut

e-mail sent
Dear Look East
I am writing in disappointment and shear disbelief at the poor reporting and responses to the footage of Paul Jones being knocked from his bike.
Only today my club mates and I have buried one of our long serving members Peter Stubbs who was knocked off and killed in a similar incident, hit from behind on a straight road.
His Obituary can be seen on the club homepage here http://www.catfordcc.co.uk/

I would like to point out that 'Road Tax' has not existed since 1937 when it was abolished by Winston Churchill to prevent the feeling of owning the road as most motorists seem to assume.
Roads are payed for from general taxation and therefore everybody is entitled to use them.
Vehicle Excise Duty is a taxation to use a car on the road nothing more I have paid this myself on my own cars, the sooner this is reported correctly and the general public better educated we can move towards making the roads safer through better tolerance between all road users.
Yours sincerely

There's some sort of hatred thing going on out there towards cyclists...im sure it wasn't like that in the 1980's.

Of course this "road tax" thing totally seems to justify people being complete arses.

Plus the fact it's a car obsessed society so the car wins every time.

PBancroft

10 PRINT Media says something unfair/untrue about cyclists.
20 PRINT Cyclists complain to media
30 PRINT Media sends standard apology letter to cyclists
40 GOTO 10

Top Bottom