BBC Radio 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've never liked it and thought it was for much older people. I only liked radio stations that play 80s hits and dance music but the adverts and talking get on my nerves too much so I don't bother with it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never liked it and thought it was for much older people. I only liked radio stations that play 80s hits and dance music but the adverts and talking get on my nerves too much so I don't bother with it.
I think that R1 used to be aimed at younger people and R2 at older people. At some point, the younger people became older people so R2 became like R1 had been before (80s hits and dance music), and R1 became whatever it is now?

I could be wrong though because I haven't listened to either for many years. Perhaps things have changed again.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I do like Craig Charles on a Saturday, and Liza Tarbuck isn't bad but other than that, Radio 2 is dreadful.

Steve Wright has a special place in hell reserved for him... DJ silly boy? Serious jockin'? No "g"? Are people still finding that funny after 20 years? Honestly, Geoff from Cleckheaton, why are you compelled to join in with the unfunny old twat to tell him you're "serious plasterin' - no "g"". Get a life, Geoff.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I listen to it on a Sunday afternoon, for Johnnie Walker (& Elaine Paige:blush: )

I also used to listen to Mike Harding Folk Show, Bob Harris Country, plus Stuart Maconie, when he was on, on a Saturday afternoon
I did like that Saturday afternoon show Stuart Maconie did. But I get my fix of him and Mark Radcliffe on 6 music on Sat and Sun mornings. Mark does the folk show now and I listen to that if I remember.

presta

Guru
I like Ken Bruce, I'll miss him when he's gone.
I had high hopes for Jeremy Vine when he took over from Jimmy Young. Rather naively I thought the show would become more like Newsnight, but then realised that rattling the cage of small minded listeners is production policy, not the character of the presenter. Dale from south Wales really grinds my gears, but they keep putting him on again and again. You and Yours on R4 has better debate and current affairs, but I prefer music mixed in with it.
Steve Wright I can take or leave.

Smooth and Magic were great when I first discovered them, it seemed like every record was a favourite, and my type of music, but it's surprising how quickly you can get fed up of listening to "my type of music" all the time. It's like eating jelly and ice cream three meals a day every day, but with adverts. The only time I listen to Smooth these days is when Elaine Paige comes on, I don't dislike her, I just don't like the sort of music she plays. Ironically, if I was forced to pick one song from a stage musical that I do like, it would be Elaine Paige singing Memory.

I think the lowlight of Radio 2 has to be Rylan's mum (on now).

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I like Ken Bruce....
Great presenter, very bland choice of music.

stephec

Legendary Member
I quite liked Steve Wright in the afternoon, when it was on Radio 1 - about 40 years ago! To say he has overstayed his welcome would be a bit of an understatement. He is 68 years old now, and it shows. Take the pension and run, Steve.
That's putting it mildly. 😂

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
🤔 I haven’t listened to R2 for years ,maybe I should give it another chance ………... Nah life’s too short.
Radio 3 has (in my opinion) some fabulous programmes ; takes a bit of adjustment after years of pop/rock/blues, but well worth it.
Radio 3 is Brilliant .………………….As long as there’s not too much Wagner :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I think that R1 used to be aimed at younger people and R2 at older people. At some point, the younger people became older people so R2 became like R1 had been before (80s hits and dance music), and R1 became whatever it is now?

I could be wrong though because I haven't listened to either for many years. Perhaps things have changed again.
JY was finished by the BBC in 2002. He came over to R2 from R1, because his show was attracting the wrong age of listeners. R2 started overtaking R1 in the listening figures, so they decided to put people on to drive the figure down below that of R1.

I still haven't forgiven them for not letting Ray Moore do one last show*, explaining why he was hanging his mike up(Throat cancer). Instead they stopped him off air, and had Davis make a comment about it being time, with a voice like his.

*His last show was on the Thursday morning, not the Friday he wanted.
[/QUOTE].

Top Bottom