BBC Radio 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I gave up on Radio 2 a while ago - it was my wake-up alarm but Zöe Ball just couldn’t stop wittering, all over the songs. I’m now listening to Greatest Hits Radio, where many former BBC types are now hanging out. The Simon Mayo drive time show is a copy/paste from Radio 2, and none the worse for it. I even had a confession read out last year and have the smart speaker as a consequence!

All uphill

Still rolling along
🤔 I haven’t listened to R2 for years ,maybe I should give it another chance ………... Nah life’s too short.

Radio 3 is Brilliant .………………….As long as there’s not too much Wagner :laugh:
Wagner's music famously has wonderful moments and terrible half-hours.

Alternatively it is not as bad as it sounds.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I gave up on Radio 2 a while ago - it was my wake-up alarm but Zöe Ball just couldn’t stop wittering, all over the songs. I’m now listening to Greatest Hits Radio, where many former BBC types are now hanging out. The Simon Mayo drive time show is a copy/paste from Radio 2, and none the worse for it. I even had a confession read out last year and have the smart speaker as a consequence!

You got a smart speaker? Mine was read out on Radio 2 and I wasn't forgiven :cursing: :laugh:

These days I no longer really listen to Radio 2; I'd echo the poor direction it's gone. Greatest Hits radio is OK if I can get a signal in the car, otherwise it's radio.garden online and something from around the world. That's widened my listening experience.

irw

Quadricyclist
I do like Craig Charles on a Saturday, and Liza Tarbuck isn't bad but other than that, Radio 2 is dreadful.

Steve Wright has a special place in hell reserved for him... DJ silly boy? Serious jockin'? No "g"? Are people still finding that funny after 20 years? Honestly, Geoff from Cleckheaton, why are you compelled to join in with the unfunny old twat to tell him you're "serious plasterin' - no "g"". Get a life, Geoff.
Serious jockin’ is the only time I’ve ever got a shout out on the radio…I was doing some truss suspension calculations at work, which involved quite a bit of serious triangulatin’! Despite trying a few times, I never got a shout out for all the serious PAT testin’ my team and I were doing in the summer!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
You don't have to listen to Radio 2 if you don't like it.
Plenty of other people do.
Just change stations if it's not to your choice.
Personally, I can't stand most of the drivel on Radios 1, 4, 5 etc so I just don't listen to them.

DRM

Guru
Radio 2 is absolutely dire now, for some reason I used to really enjoy Terry Wogan on a morning, especially the Janet & John stories, the writer (Mick Sterbs iirc) really caught the writing style of the original school Janet & John learn to read books, you could tell who was listening in their cars as they were wetting themselves laughing too, pure filthy innuendo, how the powers that be thought Chris Evans was a suitable replacement is incomprehensible

View: https://youtu.be/2vzgWIroK-A

postman

Legendary Member
In our car we can pair our phones and play our Spotify music on our journeys.For some reason my phone lists are not allowed,no taste my family,I have to listen to theirs though.

Serious jockin’ is the only time I’ve ever got a shout out on the radio…I was doing some truss suspension calculations at work, which involved quite a bit of serious triangulatin’! Despite trying a few times, I never got a shout out for all the serious PAT testin’ my team and I were doing in the summer!
I've tried to request a 'shout out' when I'm *i**in* (gigging) or *i**lin* (giggling) but I don't think they can pronounce it so avoid it. Quite agree Steve Wright is well beyond 'use by/sell by' but is just so much better than the same dozen/score/gross/whatever toonz/adverts than commercial radio.

Don't do breakfast show, but Ken Bruce is just awesome (RitchieA can do one). Noon back in the day was JY and good, but he didn't have phone in's just post, JV does have phone in's but he can't control them (Steve Wright is preferable to commercial as above) Sara Cox is too childlike (Simon Mayo was a major loss), Jo Whiley is mostly OK. Weekends:- Dermot O'dreary is not for me, Claudia is clever but a bit too effusive, Gambo is great, Rylan is marmite, Liza is bonkers! Michael Ball bearable, Paul O'Grady cracks me up. Sounds of 80/90's is OK. JW 'sounds of' is fine but rock show is crap. Elaine Page is just dreadful, her show isn't much cop either. I've often asked R2 for best bits of Jeremy Vine and they won't do it - I've asked for music only, and no music, they won't do either :laugh:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why retire? Being a radio presenter isn't like digging for coal, or digging up roads.:heat: All they do is sit there and waffle,then pick up a big pay packet. 🧐
I really meant "I would have thought that he'd have been pensioned off years ago"... I can see why he likes those big pay packets***, but even he must be bored stiff with waffling about the same stuff for 40+ years! :wacko:

*** I just looked it up - they paid him £470,000 last year! :eek:

Top Bottom