BBC - Sports Personality of the Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
rich p said:
What's down-hilling? They don't have to ride uphill?

If that's all that's involved then I reckon I could have a good shot of becoming world champion myself.

(chants to self, must eat more pies, must eat more pies)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Rob S said:
So Chris Hoy, Nicole Cooke and Rebecca Romero are in the 10 but why no Victoria!!???

Because the BBC think that the only cycling event with any merit is that four yearly pile of shoot that bankrupts most of the cities who are stupid enough to host it.

Roll on 2012 and the tax increases we will all suffer because of it.

Dave5N

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
Because the BBC think that the only cycling event with any merit is that four yearly pile of shoot that bankrupts most of the cities who are stupid enough to host it.

Roll on 2012 and the tax increases we will all suffer because of it.

That tirade doesn't really address the question.

Dave5N

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
Read Rob's question and I think you'll find it does.

The question was: So Chris Hoy, Nicole Cooke and Rebecca Romero are in the 10 but why no Victoria!!???

Surely Victoria's claim depends no less on her Olympic success than the others?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Pendleton got (only) one Olympic gold, her real success came at the world championships which were at least as difficult as the games.

That's also the reason why the worlds most successful road cyclist in terms of wins does not get a mention.

resal1

Lots of interesting points of view and opinion. Why aren't the ynglers on the short list ? It is 2nd gold for some of the team. They don't get a single mention by anyone. Nor the rowers or sailors, as a team. One of the rowing events at Beijing had 7 teams start. 3 out of 7 would get a medal - nearly 50%! Why weren't there other teams ? Lack of competition. That is fairly well perceived by the public and sports journalists and that is why there are not more sailors or any rowers on the list.

Is Vicky as dominant as Chris ? Probably even more so. History and bias have provided her with only 1 Olympic medal chance, as opposed to Chris. Given the 3 events to match Chris, it is highly unlikely that the finishing order would have changed. Vicky would have 3 golds. She would also have beaten only 11 other riders, something significantly less than the ynglers and more than the team pursuiters. I cannot see a campaign to give the ynglers 3 medals to have a go at, would get far in terms of public support.

The glories on the track are basking in a reflection from the epic races and competition levels on the road. 3 medals for the same basic performance/skill, with relatively little competition, give those who champion Cavendishes success as demanding merit above any of the track stars, some significant credence.

That then places Cookes achievements at another level again.

However, Cooke cannot even get on the cover of Cycling Weekly when she completes an unprecedented double, so her public profile is such that she will not win SPOTY.

Between Adlington, Hoy and Hamilton. The bookies have the tax exile to win. I think Hoy is being well built up by the BBC "race of champions - Hoy v. Hamilton" etc. and I believe he will win.

Hoy can have his knighthood and the trophy. He will get the adulation he rightly deserves. My vote - Nicole - personality and performance. Who else have we ever had who can climb and drop the field on the Ventoux and sprint to a World title ?

(At a time of economic crisis, how can anyone vote for someone who runs off with a whole pile of dosh and leaves us to pick up the government's tax bill, because he would rather leave us to it. Is he a little short of money ? Lewis Hamilton will not be getting any support from me !).

Noodley

Chuffy said:
Because it's another chance for us poor hard done by cyclists to whinge about how downtrodden and oppressed we are. Come on Noodles, get with the program! :biggrin:

It had not gone unobserved....;)

Top Bottom