BBC - Sports Personality of the Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Chuffy said:
I'm voting Hamilton. You?

I'm torn between Heras for his 2nd place in the world Brompton championship and Di Luca for winning King of the Mountains in the Tour of Britain. It's a tough one to call.

Cab

Four cyclists among ten nominations... Hells fire, who would ever have imagined that?

The only thing that concerns me about that is that the vote will be split between them. Yeah, Pendleton maybe deserved to be nominated, Cavendish has had an awesome year too, etc. The point here is that our ranks of great British cyclists are overflowing with sporting heroes.

Its a golden age boys and girls, enjoy it.

Cab said:
Its a golden age boys and girls, enjoy it.
No, we're going to whinge that there weren't 7 on the list.

Then we're going to whinge because the Beeb have cunningly split the bikey vote, thus letting their favoured candidate (Mr Hamilton) through on the inside.

Then we're going to whinge that this golden age isn't as good as the last one.

Etc...;)

briank

Chuffy said:
No, we're going to whinge that there weren't 7 on the list.

Then we're going to whinge because the Beeb have cunningly split the bikey vote, thus letting their favoured candidate (Mr Hamilton) through on the inside.

Then we're going to whinge that this golden age isn't as good as the last one.

Etc...;)
Too true! (How true is that btw? Too true for what?)
Getting back on track, I think you're absolutely right about cyclists being a bunch of whingers. I'm sick and tired of all their constant carping and complaining! Really, I do want to make a feeble and tiresome complaint about the way so many cyclists always look on the bleak side.....
(Bleat, bleat ....ZZZZZzzzzz.....)

OP
OP
claver58

claver58

Über Member
A clean sweep - coach, team and individual - well done Chris and everyone that voted - Cycling is back into main stream sport! Well - maybe.

Isla Valassi

Veteran
Did anyone else think that Nicole Cooke's use of the 'stage' to slip in the fact that she was looking for a sponsor for her team was a bit naff?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
asterix said:
Something makes me think that the BBC weren't over the moon at the result. Sick as parrots even. Funny old game, innit?

i bet they wanted hamilton, due to having the rights to show f1 next year.

my club sent an email around making sure we all voted for hoy, so as not to split the vote. looks like a lot of cyclists put their vote behind the most likely cyclist winner too.

result.

papercorn2000

Strange, we had one of them did the round of our club too!

Maybe all the grass-roots F1 participants should have gotten more organised...;)

Cab

Personality, team, and coach... All very well deserved I think. Pat on the back to Team GB.

And to see Hoy giving his speech, you really could believe that he didn't see it coming. I was sure it had to be Hamilton or Adlington, I suspected that four cyclists in the list would split the vote.

All in all, while its a shame Pendleton wasn't nominated (her dominance in her events is as complete as Hoys in his), that has worked out okay. That surely WOULD have split the cycling vote!

But really, what a cracking year for British sport. Grand slam tennis finalist, F1 champion, multiple gold medalists at the Olympics in cycling, the most awesome performance from the sailing team, medals in swimming (golds too!)... Okay, so our footie team are shocking and the wheels came off the rugby teams when they came up against Southern hemisphere opposition (okay, Wales did better), but what a cracking year for British sport.

Dave5N

Über Member
Cab said:

But really, what a cracking year for British sport.
Grand slam tennis finalist, F1 champion, multiple gold medalists at the Olympics in cycling, the most awesome performance from the sailing team, medals in swimming (golds too!)... Okay, so our footie team are shocking and the wheels came off the rugby teams when they came up against Southern hemisphere opposition (okay, Wales did better), but what a cracking year for British sport.

You forgot the bit about Portsmouth winning the FA Cup.

Again.

Top Bottom