BBC - Sports Personality of the Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
claver58

claver58

Über Member
I think the vote was about 260,000 for Hoy and about 180,000 for Hamilton so it was not close in the end. I agree that it seems cyclists united behind Chris as our best candidate - even so I was shocked - I had him down as third. I am thrilled that cycling did so well and was recognised through SPOTY. Onwards and upwards - in Poland this year for the Worlds, there are 3 events we need gold in!!

Dave5N

Über Member
Chris Hoy 283,630 votes
Lewis Hamilton 163,864
Rebecca Adlington 145,924
Ben Ainslie 35,472
Joe Calzaghe 34,077
Andy Murray 19,415
Nicole Cooke 18,256
Christine Ohuruogu 7,677
Bradley Wiggins 5,633
Rebecca Romero 4,526

gavintc

Guru
The Scottish BBC news did a bit of story on Hoy interviewing various people in the street. It is clear that he gained from the Scottish vote in addition to the cyclists. There were some very patriotic comments on the tele tonight.

zacklaws

Guru
I knew things would turn out well, when very early on in the programme when Chris Hoy got mentioned the audience applauded a lot louder than for anyone else in the nominations so I saw where there support was, but it was still a tense ending.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
zacklaws said:
I knew things would turn out well, when very early on in the programme when Chris Hoy got mentioned the audience applauded a lot louder than for anyone else in the nominations so I saw where there support was, but it was still a tense ending.

The Clapometer - Opportunity Knocks for you Chris, it really does!:hello:

Brahan

Über Member
On talksport yesterday, one of the presenters was saying that Hoy was not a worthy winner because he hasn't won The Tour de France.

Yes, I'm being serious.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Brahan said:
On talksport yesterday, one of the presenters was saying that Hoy was not a worthy winner because he hasn't won The Tour de France.

Yes, I'm being serious.

So, following that logic, Usain Bolt shouldn't have won overseas SPOTY because he hasn't won a marathon. Duh. ;)

OP
OP
claver58

claver58

Über Member
I think the following comments from Chris's mother (on his website) show that Chris would have won even without Scottish votes. So he is a true champion.
Just to stop a few rumours before they get going, the split of the votes was as follows
Chris- 283,630
Lewis H- 163,864
Becci A- 145,924
The vote split for Chris was 100,000 from Scotland 184,000 from England, Wales and N. Ireland
Chris was going to wear his kilt but BBC wanted the cyclists to change into skinsuits and there was not enough time to get in and out of his kit.

Top Bottom