BBC upgrade to HD..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
It is still there, now next to BBC Four HD and the Scotland, Wales and West Midlands BBC One HD regions. 11023MHz H 23000s/s FEC 3/4

Still in HD on Freesat - channel 200. SD is 212

I should have mentioned that I was referring to BBC News HD being removed from Freeview to free up additional spectrum for mobile operators.

Mike_P

Guru
I find on smaller the TVs the difference between SD and HD to be almost negligible. My main TV is a 32" Freesat and Freeview combi now 13 years old, fails now to show ITV HD channels on Freesat without the picture breaking up / freezing and since the local BBC1HD came active some minor issues are occurring with that. Think it might be time for a replacement. I am on a north facing hillside which means despite being close to Leeds the terrestrial local programs on Freeview come from Newcastle so Freeview gets limited use for non PVRed viewing.

Mike_P

Guru
Discovered the only 32" TV with Freesat built in available today only has two HDMI inputs, current one has four plus a Scart all in use along with a twin port HDMI switch. So decided on a "new" pre-owned Freesat HD box off eBay and replacing the twin port switch with a triple, and consequential reprogramming of the universal remote control.

presta

Guru
I didn't know that Channel 4 are back on Freesat, I chose a Freeview Humax in 2018 because Channel 4 was missing from Freesat. Even though my Humax is only 4 years old it already won't work with ITV catchup, not compatible with a recent software upgrade apparently. I have to bend over backwards to spot any difference in HD, so I stopped using it, it was just wearing out the 1 & 0 buttons on the keypad for nothing.

In actual fact, I cheat somewhat. We recently gave the lounge a once-over and mounted the TV in a different place on the wall. In this position it's close enough to the router to use ethernet, and there's the communal terrestrial antenna socket too, so so have Freeview, Freesat, plus t'internet.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I didn't know that Channel 4 are back on Freesat, I chose a Freeview Humax in 2018 because Channel 4 was missing from Freesat.
Channel 4 has always been available on Freesat - it's just C4 HD that went AWOL from the EPG for a couple of years.

Having said that, it continued to be broadcast from the Astra satellite during that time, so could be manually tuned or, if you had a Humax with the custom firmware, added back into the Freesat EPG.

But you probably didn't want to know that. :smile:

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom