BBC upgrade to HD..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I don't see a cessation of broadcasting via satellitehappening

Future satellites are probably going to be optimised for other uses outside of direct to home television, but it's also true that there are many parts of the world that haven't got reliable internet services, no infrastructure, not even terrestrial television, so they are absolutely reliant on satellite broadcasting to broadcast news, entertainment and culture.

Interestingly the satellite location at 28.2E used for Sky and Freesat is also shared with an African television service, they use the same satellites to deliver their programming, we can't see it because the antenna footprint is focussed on the part of Africa where the service is intended to be used.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's the satellite approaching it's end of service and whether Sky etc are prepared to provide the requisite funding for a replacement.

I can see the Sky dish-based services being discontinued in the UK in not too distant future.

Apart from cost considerations, Sky will be acutely aware of the consumer shift to non-terrestrial viewing patterns and the ever growing numbers of homes fitted with genuinely fast BB.

Dishes & arials are probably not too far away from being museum pieces imo.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can see the Sky dish-based services being discontinued in the UK in not too distant future.

Apart from cost considerations, Sky will be acutely aware of the consumer shift to non-terrestrial viewing patterns and the ever growing numbers of homes fitted with genuinely fast BB.

Dishes & arials are probably not too far away from being museum pieces imo.
They'll have to make their TV's a bit more affordable. £400 for a 32" telly, with an odd format, is pushing it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's the satellite approaching it's end of service and whether Sky etc are prepared to provide the requisite funding for a replacement.
They're not that near the end of service! There's 7 years of the planned 15-year service life at the 28.2°e position yet, but there's Astra satellites launched 25 years ago still operable (as well as ones that failed early, of course, including one that never reached its intended orbit).

No need for a satellite dish though. All done via your router, and high speed internet connection.
Exactly. No extra functionality at all.

vickster

Legendary Member
With advert skipping for an extra £5/month!

It includes Netflix but I just checked - that is only Netflix Basic (one device at a time, in SD).

And? it’s an option to have Sky and no dish. How many devices will you watch at a time?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And? it’s an option to have Sky and no dish. How many devices will you watch at a time?

And! I like Netflix but can't stand SD. And! Some other people who also might be interested in the Netflix addition might not be bothered by SD (they do exist!) but (unlike us) have families who would like to use multiple devices at once...

vickster

Legendary Member
And! I like Netflix but can't stand SD. And! Some other people who also might be interested in the Netflix addition might not be bothered by SD (they do exist!) but (unlike us) have families who would like to use multiple devices at once...

Then you pay more for a higher level of service.
I have Netflix as part of my Sky, barely ever watch it. I have the UHD upgrade, don’t know if that affects Netflix though (I guess I get HD)

I was simply answering @classic33 who suggested you need Sky Glass to get dish free Sky, you don’t

Top Bottom