BBC upgrade to HD..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
BBC Scotland and BBC one Scotland are different. BBC one Scotland becomes HD only this week, according to https://www.hdsatelliteupgrade.co.uk/when-does-my-area-switch but they might not switch the SD off immediately if they don't need the space for anything else.
As far as I can see, all the BBC regional channels that have newly become available on HD via Freesat are still viewable in SD as well, albeit on a different transponder frequency.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As far as I can see, all the BBC regional channels that have newly become available on HD via Freesat are still viewable in SD as well, albeit on a different transponder frequency.
Not true for East, as far as I can tell, and I expect only London (or maybe a version with an info card instead of London content) will remain for a year.

Mike_P

Guru
HA!!!

I retuned my Freesat box, redid my favourite channels, set up my recordings again, then sat down to watch Look North in glorious... er, crappy SD-like picture quality! Apparently, some of the local studios are not fully HD-ready yet... :banghead:

The switchover has been going on for some weeks as regions flipped to HD so Leeds should be HD now. Change on Freesat is that 106 is now not in use for BBC1HD so if you have a Freesat PVR set to record on 101 or 106 you most likely will need to redo the scheduled recordings, all on 101 (which the PVR may treat as a new channel compared to the old 101)

mjr

The switchover has been going on for some weeks as regions flipped to HD so Leeds should be HD now. Change on Freesat is that 106 is now not in use for BBC1HD so if you have a Freesat PVR set to record on 101 or 106 you most likely will need to redo the scheduled recordings, all on 101 (which the PVR may treat as a new channel compared to the old 101)
I think @ColinJ was referring to the Look North production studios not being full HD yet. Only London, Manchester and Plymouth had been upgraded, last I heard. Plymouth cost £20m in 2017 so other regions may only be upgraded when things need replacing anyway.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Virgin 101 is BBC1 HD, 102 BBC2 HD. Sky have, seemingly late in the day, launched SKY news HD on 602. I used to flip between 601/603 but 602 confused me for a bit.....another Sky News channel??. Then I realised it was HD...d'oh! :laugh:

mjr

If your TV has Chromecast built-in, then simply cast from your phone to the TV. If the TV is not so equipped, then a Chromecast stick is not expensive. £35 for full HD, £60 for 4K.
And all you have to do is sell your personal data to Google?

"Like you collect moths, I collect souls. I'd like to add yours to my collection." 😈

I bought a box compatible with freesat. I hooked it up to the dish cable and searched channels. Worked well. Then the TV went. I got an LG TV with freesat built in. Just plug the cable in from the satellite dish and it works like aerial for setup. No issues.

The change of BBC 1hd over to Channel 101 hasn't stopped me getting local to me BBC news.

Google best freesat boxes. There's a brand that they all say is better than others. Think humax but not sure. Cost us £25.

Mike_P

Guru
I have Humax boxes albeit all some years old but recently bought a Manhattan box to replace a cheapo SD box and that is far quicker starting and fundamentally works with a monitor which the Humax boxes would not without some special conversion cable.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
As title. I can no longer watch regional news programmes on BBC1 Scotland, because the BBC have upgraded to HD

I have the opposite issue; the only live TV channel that I watch is BBC News and this is no longer available in HD.

SD sound and picture quality is so annoyingly poor by comparison and if it wasn’t for the fact that I like watching the nature documentaries on iPlayer then I’d cancel my TV license.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just ditch SKY.
Freesat box worked with our SKY dish OK.
We don't even have an ariel in our new house yet - just watch all via t'internet.

Ditto - all streamed for over 2 years now.

How many people still organise their lives around when terrestrial broadcasters decide to broadcast a particular programme (?) - assuming that they have a decent Broadband connection avalible.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I did a rescan of available channels last night, and all of the regions are in HD, but there remains a transponder which carries SD versions of all BBC channels except for regional variants: For BBC one SD, when it's time for local news it now displays information on how to upgrade to HD.

Top Bottom