Be careful out there.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Be careful out there people. Hit by a cab from Brittania Cars, Heywood in Birch this morning who just drove off. I'm ok , just a couple of small bruises, but the next person he targets might not be be so lucky. Police their usual useless self who can't pick up the phone. One of the problems with cycling alone these days, nobody to witness or catch a number plate etc. Traffic seems to be faster and taking more risks. I've had more "incidents" since the lockdown than normal. Rang taxi Licensing in Rochdale, but nobody manning phones. Camera will be installed next time out.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Ouch! Hope you're OK. If you've got the plate/type then persist because the next one they hit might not be so fortunate.

I'd agree some of the traffic is going much, much faster than usual.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
Ouch! Hope you're OK. If you've got the plate/type then persist because the next one they hit might not be so fortunate.

I'd agree some of the traffic is going much, much faster than usual.
No didn't get the plate just colour and size of car and noted the flag on the side of the car which gave the firm away. Too busy staying upright. He had to stop further up the road at some temporary lights and I tried to chase him, but they changed and he shot off at speed.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You should report it to the police as a fail to stop at an accident. You know the company and you know the colour of the vehicle. They will only have so many cabs working for them. Then it's a matter of the police finding out which drivers were working at the time of the incident and where their fares were from and to. It ain't rocket science, and the cab firm will not want attention from the police or licencing authority. Witholding info from the police is attempting to pervert the course of justice and it carries jail time. Get it reported, make an official complaint of a fail to stop and get the old bill to do their job.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
You should report it to the police as a fail to stop at an accident. You know the company and you know the colour of the vehicle. They will only have so many cabs working for them. Then it's a matter of the police finding out which drivers were working at the time of the incident and where their fares were from and to. It ain't rocket science, and the cab firm will not want attention from the police or licencing authority. Witholding info from the police is attempting to pervert the course of justice and it carries jail time. Get it reported, make an official complaint of a fail to stop and get the old bill to do their job.
Now reported to Police and Licensing Authority. Not bothering with cab co. I'm told they are a dodgy outfit. Their facebook has not been accessed for years. Worth a look for the video on there.

classic33

Leg End Member
phone them up.... and tell them that one of their drivers has been reported for a hit and run, and fail to stop. :laugh:
And you've handed the video evidence over.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH not had a great time with cab drivers, one reversed into my car as I was pulling into a car park, and refused to give details. Was years ago and never got anywhere. A friend also got done over by a private hire too. These days, GPS etc etc, they will know who was driving.

Ouch I hope bruising is minimal.

The winds have been strong eastardlies all week here; until today I've resisted going east into the Fens. I was quickly reminded why I resisted the flat and straight Fen roads are a magnet for speeding lunatics.

Last edited:

DSK

Hope your bruises heal quickly. I hope your bike is OK too.

This is the reason I always say in this day and age, you need to cameras, front/rear on you cycles and motor vehicles. Too many idiots around and sadly too many cars on cloned plates that are even worse they will just crash into traffic and drive off let alone, a cyclist.

davidphilips

Veteran
Also Hope your bruises heal quickly and nothing to bad with your bike.
There are still lots of nasty people about, my friends brother hit barbed wire that was put on a mtb run yesterday near Helens tower in Bangor who ever put the barbed wire across the trail not only done it with malice towards cyclists but did not care about putting more work on the nhs at this time. will not voice my opinion of there actions but just finish by letting everyone know the cyclist was able to cycle home.

GWS. Lunatics haven't stopped driving because of the lockdown, as you say, more opportunity for speeding. Some think they can get away with murder now, it's too much temptation, the price paid by vulnerable road users is tolerated by society, so don't hold your breath for change. I've long given up on it. Had a complete moron deliberately pass me within inches on the way to work this AM. I was livid. Thank god I didn't catch up because I don't know what I would have done. All we can do is try our best to stay out of harm's way and not provoke the loons.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Had mild altercation with a low-life on one of the seedier estates yesterday, who was picking up his mate (social distancing my arse), did an incompetent five-point turn and didn't look around once so didn't see me having to stop. "Don't mind me", I said as he drove off, whereupon he slammed on the brakes, probably intending to start on me. I went round him on the pavement and there was a passer-by there, so he thought better of it and went screaming off, probably to buy or sell weed.

Top Bottom