Be careful out there.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ouch I hope bruising is minimal.

The winds have been strong eastardlies all week here; until today I've resisted going east into the Fens. I was quickly reminded why I resisted the flat and straight Fen roads are a magnet for speeding lunatics.
Riding regularly as I do from Crowland to Peterborough for work I have variously enjoyed and then sworn at the North-Easterly winds we've had all week depending on which direction I've been going in. The route is pretty much straight North/South from home to Fengate and back so if you've got one, you've got one, all the bleedin' way!

CXRAndy

Guru
No didn't get the plate just colour and size of car and noted the flag on the side of the car which gave the firm away. Too busy staying upright. He had to stop further up the road at some temporary lights and I tried to chase him, but they changed and he shot off at speed.

I hate that folk don't own up to their accidents whether careless or stupid. I had a vehicle bump a few months ago. I pursued it with the police, hopefully its going to court for several motoring offences.

Milzy

Guru
Be careful out there people. Hit by a cab from Brittania Cars, Heywood in Birch this morning who just drove off. I'm ok , just a couple of small bruises, but the next person he targets might not be be so lucky. Police their usual useless self who can't pick up the phone. One of the problems with cycling alone these days, nobody to witness or catch a number plate etc. Traffic seems to be faster and taking more risks. I've had more "incidents" since the lockdown than normal. Rang taxi Licensing in Rochdale, but nobody manning phones. Camera will be installed next time out.
I have a go pro but can't be bothered with it. I'd consider one of those smaller lighter bullet cams on the helmet maybe.

glad you're not too badly hurt but as others have said it seems the first drivers back onto the roads are the careless ones, i've noticed it on the few outside rides i've done recently including at least one close pass when they had two empty lanes to use.

When i used to commute by bike (10 years) the last couple of years I always had the gopro on, i'd hate to have to do that for normal riding, this is not the change we want from COVID.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
Charged the camera up and used it. Waste of time as nothing recorded. Trouble is I have no instructions for it and can't find any on the net. Will have to look at buying one but don't want to spend GoPro money as I break most things. I don't need one with lights etc as I don't commute. My old one seems to be working but without instructions I've no chance.

i cant believe it I popped out today for 50 mins to destress and got close passed by half a dozen cars and van on very narrow lanes, normally you'd get one maybe two.

I sort of half joked about the idiots being the first back on the road but it really looks that is the case. Stay safe out there people.

Latest met report is a close to 900% increase is speeding related incidents and that's just the met, which is no wonder why here in the sticks it's turned into an F1 race

Last edited:

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Today I saw an SUV driver accelerate hard away from a petrol station, in a 30pmh zone. This approach seems to be becoming normal. It uses more fuel, puts more stress and strain on the vehicle, increases pollution, all for utterly minimal gain. So why?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Riding regularly as I do from Crowland to Peterborough for work I have variously enjoyed and then sworn at the North-Easterly winds we've had all week depending on which direction I've been going in. The route is pretty much straight North/South from home to Fengate and back so if you've got one, you've got one, all the bleedin' way!

Wrong thread

Today I saw an SUV driver accelerate hard away from a petrol station, in a 30pmh zone. This approach seems to be becoming normal. It uses more fuel, puts more stress and strain on the vehicle, increases pollution, all for utterly minimal gain. So why?
Because, idiots! There is something fundamentally flawed in our capitalist consumer culture. Waste keeps the economy growing. The pursuit of growth drives this illogical behaviour. That, and humans are not as smart as they think they are. Few of us are truly rational beings, even if we like to pretend we are. :hugs:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because, idiots! There is something fundamentally flawed in our capitalist consumer culture. Waste keeps the economy growing. The pursuit of growth drives this illogical behaviour. That, and humans are not as smart as they think they are. Few of us are truly rational beings, even if we like to pretend we are. :hugs:
For example, this E-bike advert was banned for pointing out some problems with cars: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...regulator-for-discrediting-automobile-sector/

Top Bottom