Be careful when riding on the pavement!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin B

I was crossing the pavement to enter the ramp on the bridge ,I ran into the road as I did not know what the hell had happened, it was filmed by the telegraph cameraman who happened to be on the bridge ,the building Behind is the headquarters
So let me get this right firstly the area wants closed off to stop pedestrians walking into hazardous area and then you seeing this decided it was perfectly OK to try and pass a huge piece of metal swinging about on a strap .
I'm glad nothing bad happened but really don't you think it was stupid of you not to wait until it was safer to pass because just looking at that lamppost it can not only fall but swing violently once free of the ground .

Sara_H

Guru
Ha ha, the geezer in hi vis said "xxxing hell, that's what I said!"
I noticed that. I wonder what he had said? Seems to me he knew that there was something amiss with the safety procedures.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So let me get this right firstly the area wants closed off to stop pedestrians walking into hazardous area and then you seeing this decided it was perfectly OK to try and pass a huge piece of metal swinging about on a strap .
I'm glad nothing bad happened but really don't you think it was stupid of you not to wait until it was safer to pass because just looking at that lamppost it can not only fall but swing violently once free of the ground .
Actually looking at that video it doesn't look as if any area has been closed off?

If it had fallen a different direction it could have hit the car turning in the road.

For the pavement comment , please explain how you get from the road to the ramp of the bridge which is for bikes without crossing the path ? Teleportation maybe I don't know, would a helmet stop a 40 ft steel lamp- post ? Not sure they would have tested for that

Bad layout perhaps, but when lawyers come into it, the clear and legal "cycles prohibited" signs at each end of the bridge do mean that you, in the letter of the law, should dismount and push the bicycle across the pavement to the road.

Not saying that I would do so (unless there were lots of pedestrians milling around) but when we start talking laws, the fact that you should not have been cycling there will be mentioned.

Of course this does not change the fact that negligence in making the area safe or closing off the area during the work, means that you would have been affected just the same had you been legally walking the bicycle, or a pedestrian would have been injured if they had been there...what SHOULD have happened is that the bridge and footpath should have been closed off for the short time that the post was being moved. It could also have been far worse.

Top Bottom