Be Carefull out there!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Cab said:
They all seemed so angry this evening.

And for some reason the advance stop boxes don't apply at this time of year. No one has ever explained to me why that is, but clearly the exclusion of cars has been suspended and no one mentioned it to me.

You are so right: I pointed out the transgression to a jeep driver today who informed me that he rides a bike every day. I construed his comment as a precursor for other irrelevant nonsense or worse and sped away - yes RLJ. So, unfortunately so I cannot report on his other wisdoms.

PBancroft

hackbike 666 said:
Almost a very quiet commute for my except my chain thought it would spice things up a bit.

Oh and the Royal Mail Delivery driver in a hurry in Leyton.

I was going to say to him that his driving was crap but I still support the postal workers.Mysteriously he vanished at the Leyton bus garage even though the lights were red.;)

Probably one of the managers still out on delivery runs trying to catch up.

jimboalee

Norm said:
But. but. but... it's GMT, Greenwich, which is part of Britain! Should we not be proud to set the world's clocks?

Easier surely to leave it as it is but to adjust the "9 to 5".

We could work from 8 to 4, as many of the Europeans do. Never have figured out why we work from 0900 (approximately 3 hours before the sun reaches it's zenith) to 1700 (which is about 5 hours hours after noon).

For instance, sunrise today, in London, is 06:44 and sunset is 16:45. If we worked from 8 'till 4, we'd start work 75 minutes after dawn and finish 45 minutes before sunset. That would work a lot better, at any time of year... wouldn't it?

My employers let me work 6 to 3.
Morning commute is 04:30 to 05:30. Only need lights in the morning. Hardly any traffic at that time in the morning. Showers are empty.
Coffee is fresh.

Get home at about 16:15. Gym is not yet crowded.

al78

Guru
Norm said:
But. but. but... it's GMT, Greenwich, which is part of Britain! Should we not be proud to set the world's clocks?

We could work from 8 to 4, as many of the Europeans do. Never have figured out why we work from 0900 (approximately 3 hours before the sun reaches it's zenith) to 1700 (which is about 5 hours hours after noon).

For instance, sunrise today, in London, is 06:44 and sunset is 16:45. If we worked from 8 'till 4, we'd start work 75 minutes after dawn and finish 45 minutes before sunset. That would work a lot better, at any time of year... wouldn't it?

It would mean that in December, most people would be commuting in the dark both ways, as opposed to just one way in a 9-5 system.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Norm said:

And what is better, the pubs stay open an hour later, relatively speaking. :laugh:

Norm

And, better yet, it is something which many people could change for themselves, merely by asking their boss, rather than forcing your lifestyle onto others.

al78 said:
It would mean that in December, most people would be commuting in the dark both ways, as opposed to just one way in a 9-5 system.
Which is true although, at the equinox, sunrise is just after 8 and sunset is just before 4 so there would be some daylight at either end.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Norm said:
We could work from 8 to 4, as many of the Europeans do.

This is exactly what I tend to do during the winter. I can work pretty much when I want, and I want to get home with a little daylight to spare.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Norm said:

Ah! Well now, I'm a Europhile. I think we should switch to European time, ditch the Pound, use the Euro instead and all learn to speak a second European language. (Deutsch, zum beispiel).

... I'll get my coat. :tongue:

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
XmisterIS said:
Ah! Well now, I'm a Europhile. I think we should switch to European time, ditch the Pound, use the Euro instead and all learn to speak a second European language. (Deutsch, zum beispiel).

... I'll get my coat. :tongue:

that's not such a crazy idea, speaking another language makes people smart, UK is full of dumbos for sure, also pound aint worth shoot any more so why not, and the time well lets all have siesta time while we are at it :tongue:
Maybe then we will get some of the european spirit and rise up to kick the politicians arses once and for all as the europeans dont put up with the kind of crap we do.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
Indeed. Such as the four cyclists I saw on the Ledbury - Bromyard road (an unlit B road) last night with not a single light between them. It's not just motorists who can be brain dead imbeciles.

this is true, I saw loads last night with no lights and dark clothing, also quite a few with lights so dim that they were useless.

Ditto my chain came off three times but strangely only on the return commute.

Can't get it serviced yet as I need to save my money for next months holiday.

I have a spare bike if needed.

jimboalee said:
Strange. I had a 'chain off' too..... :smile:

Got another bruise on my right leg but only because some tithead moton decided he would change lane in heavy traffic @ Stratford.

I couldn't see what the point was as we were coming up to a pinch point anway.

Top Bottom