Be One or Be Gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Well it is only discounted by 22%, and it is an unknown brand so I would not give my approval for this one.

stevenb

BeOne are a Dutch company and are pretty good.
The price for the bike shown is very good value.
Halfords are ok for the ease of initial purchase but the BeOne model shown would IMO be a better machine.
It's all down to your friend of course but I think for a commuter the BeOne would be a good machine.
It has a good racing geometry frame too.:biggrin:
Hope this is of any help to your friend.

OP
OP
Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse

Cheers Dom and Steven. I'm a little disturbed by the lack of replies to this, am thinking this speaks volumes about the brand too. My initial reaction was to tell him nay, pick up a Carerra or a Giant, and I find it hard to think otherwise given the lack of interest in this thread. But then again, you've been pretty positive Steven so I'll pass that on and he can decide - his dosh after all!

The alternative is of course Maggot's Masai Mara.

scm

Tetedelacourse said:
I'm a little disturbed by the lack of replies to this, am thinking this speaks volumes about the brand too.
It speaks more about the working habits of the people who frequent this forum I suspect. We're not all on here at your beck and call 24 hours a day, you know! :biggrin:

Of the three bikes you mention: I'm put off the BeOne by those ugly (to me) handlebars, and the groupset. I'm put off the Carrera by the name "Halfords". I'd be put off the Giant if it didn't have a Campag groupset, not sure which model your friend is looking at. Of the three, I'd say Giant has the best reputation.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my carrera is great, and for the price carrera bikes are the nuts. just a shame the customer service at halfords is so poor.

and don't feel sorry for your lbs for buying a halfords bike, mine has made more money upgrading/servicing it than halfords made selling it in the first place.

cyclebum

I have a carrera mtb and I love it, though I have to admit i'm no expert. I didn't buy it from my local store which was a mistake as I was badly let down (it was a shop floor model and was supposed to have been rebuilt but wasnt:sad:) but my local store sorted it out without a quibble and has by far made up for any initial disappointment. They have helped and checked the bike without fuss on numerous occassions since I bought it in April. Only today I was switching my tyres from off road and did fine until the last little bit of the 2nd tyre which I couldnt quite lever in. As hubby was away and with no one around to help I popped down and flashed my eyelashes at the young lad and he kindly sorted it out. I was very encouraged to see him struggle for a while with it though.:biggrin:
My husband also has a carrera which he is also very pleased with.

col

Legendary Member
My carrera is good too,when i first got it,the bottom bracket gave up on me after a short while,but i got a deal on a sealed one to replace it,and its been no problem at all,great for the price.

P.H

Über Member
Can you get to a Decathlon store?
IMO they offer the best value road bikes at that price point. Have a look on the website, though my localish store often has models and offers not on there.

bonj2

scm said:
It speaks more about the working habits of the people who frequent this forum I suspect. We're not all on here at your beck and call 24 hours a day, you know! :biggrin:

Of the three bikes you mention: I'm put off the BeOne by those ugly (to me) handlebars, and the groupset. I'm put off the Carrera by the name "Halfords". I'd be put off the Giant if it didn't have a Campag groupset, not sure which model your friend is looking at. Of the three, I'd say Giant has the best reputation.

you tell him.

DLB

the edinburgh cycles continental revolution is a nice road bike. i bought one earlier this year and really like it. Not sure how it compares to a giant or the bike at CRC tho.

bonj2

I did used to have a carrera mtb and it wasn't bad. Well, it wasn't actually a mtb, it was a subway 2 hybrid that I mtb-ised. even though it wasn't in the same league to my current mtb, it was damn good, made it round llandegla on it no probs.

Top Bottom