Bealach Na Ba

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No way for me, but you enjoy ^_^

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Lovely scenery but brutal hills and if the wind blows - it blows proper- how long are you gonna take - if you want a few place names to stay I was lucky and found 3 out of 4 really great is ones

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Lovely scenery but brutal hills and if the wind blows - it blows proper- how long are you gonna take - if you want a few place names to stay I was lucky and found 3 out of 4 really great is ones

@berty bassett

I've planned the trip around the b&bs I could book, busy in August and last minute planning, so my cycling will fit around this.

Day 1 - Inverness to Achnashee
Day 2 - Achnashee to Torridon
Day 3 - Torridon to Dundonnell
Day 4 - Dundonnell to Stoer
Day 5 - Stoer to Tongue
Day 6 - Tongue to JOG to Thurso
Day 7 - Thurso to Lairg
Day 8 - Lairg to Inverness

Day 6 onwards is to avoid the A9 and A99 which seem to be dreadful for cyclists.

What do you think?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
sounds like a good plan
i stopped at sheildag 4/10
a pub in middle of nowhere Altnacealgach 9/10
the bothy tounge 10/10
and forse of nature latherton 8/10
went up bealach with about 70mile in my legs and a storm brewing - bad mistake
the next 2/3 days were 40mph winds and rain and had prebooked b&bs so had to do it ( also sent little packages to each place by post - dried food etc )
it does get easier half way along the top and its a good idea to miss a9 i would think - though i didnt think it too bad
i only did a9 as i wanted to do the 2 climbs though i did go dingwall and beauley
in hindsight i should have took longer as its hard in places so i would think you will really enjoy it
to see deer just starring at you and otters run across the road is something else

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Cheers,

For a recent
family loss, I just want some time in the middle of nowhere so looking forward to it. I take your point about bringing food along as I know there aren't places to stop and buy things along the way.

I'm not super bike fit at the moment and I
won't get chance to have cycled a lot before Bealach Na Ba hits me on Day 2. Weather wise I'm hoping it won't be too bad but I know it's unpredictable. They say do the NC 500 clockwise as the winds are south westerly.......but we'll see.

When did you do yours?

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
Watch out for foreign tourists who don't know how a single track road works!!!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Cheers,

For a recent
family loss, I just want some time in the middle of nowhere so looking forward to it. I take your point about bringing food along as I'm know there aren't places to stop and buy things along the way.

I'm not super bike fit at the moment and I
won't get chance to have cycled a lot before Bealach Na Ba hits me on Day 2. Weather wise I'm hoping it won't be too bad but I know it's unpredictable. They say do the NC 500 clockwise as the winds are south westerly.......but we'll see.

When did you do yours?
A bout this time last year - beware as if the weather changes it is hard work I only took minimum kit and at one point I was wearing everything as I was so cold and wet - but saying that - I would do it again tomorrow
You pass a few shop stops on the way but I would say if you are low on anything , stock up when you can
There was one lay-by burger van place in the middle of nowhere and if I had the energy to climb over the counter I would have gave her my best cuddle - she was a life saver

theloafer

Legendary Member
one of my fav climbs ^_^
applecross and cape wrath 117[1].jpg

Twilkes

Guru
dont under estimate just how hilly it gets after the bealach !

Threadsurrection, but is it just that this road follows the Bealach climb that makes it so tough, or is it actually a tough rolling road? From the profile it looks like there are pretty much no flat sections, so the only recovery is during the downhills, and some of the short climbs can get over 10%, is that where the pain is?

theloafer

Legendary Member
when we did it, the climb was great (but then i like hills) and it was good weather . the section from Applecross to Kinlochewe :ohmy: that bit i was not keen on .might have to take the riese and muller over and give her a good test :whistle:

Twilkes

Guru
when we did it, the climb was great (but then i like hills) and it was good weather . the section from Applecross to Kinlochewe :ohmy: that bit i was not keen on .might have to take the riese and muller over and give her a good test :whistle:

But if you like hills why were you not keen on the next bit, was it just relentless little climbs with no reward like the hill equivalent of a headwind?

Top Bottom