Bealach Na Ba

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
, was it just relentless little climbs with no reward like the hill equivalent of a headwind?

that's about the sums it ... that plus poss a bad night in a tent did not feel 100% , but the climb was easy compared with the constant up down up down. but some of the views made up for the grief^_^^_^

snorri

Legendary Member
But if you like hills why were you not keen on the next bit, was it just relentless little climbs with no reward like the hill equivalent of a headwind?
I think you have described it well, "relentless little climbs with no reward" . It would probably help if you allowed plenty of time for that section and then a little more. I certainly would not have wanted to be cycling against the clock.
It's a few years now since I cycled that way, and I can't remember my timings, but I took a B&B in Lochcarron and stayed at the Torridon hostel the next night.
That was sufficient for me for one day:smile:.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Threadsurrection, but is it just that this road follows the Bealach climb that makes it so tough, or is it actually a tough rolling road? From the profile it looks like there are pretty much no flat sections, so the only recovery is during the downhills, and some of the short climbs can get over 10%, is that where the pain is?
Been a long time now so time may have haggled my memory but I would have said if you looked at the route as a clock face with bealach being roughly little hand at seven o’clock - it’s going to be roughly half past 12 before you see a flat bit ! It’s a mixture of little steep climbs and falls with big steady climbs and falls - and even a few long steep climbs about 11 😁 then a bit easier and you hit two climbs about 5 - like I said though , if the weather is nice it is a fantastic ride - if it’s grim , it will make you consider a different hobby

Top Bottom