Beards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Here's the original story, where Walter Planckaert explains the reasons for the ban:
https://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/...-sein-de-l-equipe-sport-vlaanderen?id=9719553

"Nous sommes une équipe cycliste, avec des coureurs. Pas des pilotes de motocross ou des joueurs de rugby. Les snot (la morve) et les restes de nourriture dans la barbe d'un coureur en pleine course, c'est sale", précise le directeur sportif de Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise.

trans: "We are a cycling team, with riders. Not motocross riders or rugby players. The snot and leftover food in the beard of a rider in the middle of the race is dirty," said the sporting director of Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I wonder what he drag co-efficient of a good old bearded cyclist is vs a non-beardy variety.
Obviously dependent on the size of the foliage.

Oh crap - I've strayed into the Pro Section, sorry, I don't have any right to be in this area - SORRY!

Doseone

Guru
I wonder what he drag co-efficient of a good old bearded cyclist is vs a non-beardy variety.

I was listening to an interview with Simon Geschke. Sunweb have actually tested his beard in the wind tunnel and over 10k at 40kmh it made 0.2 seconds difference.

Merckx
looks like Will Young

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3NrCx9uSB3DyN6oVh_hanNHxpdr4k3gpjPdiUxF1vciI8cuHD.jpg

He doesn't actually look like Will Young in this pic but he does look like Will Young if I hadn't put a pic of Will Young up...

Last edited:

Oh crap - I've strayed into the Pro Section, sorry, I don't have any right to be in this area - SORRY!
GCN or somebody done a test on youtube a few years back and it was a massive 1w over 40km :laugh: It makes a real difference when you are going for the hour record :laugh::laugh:

Edit it was Specialized

View: https://youtu.be/FkmCLOjk2h8

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Beardy riders should go the whole fashion hipster hog, get a full sleeve and a calf tattoo, wear NHS thick black framed specs, and a check patterened lycra shirt, and faux denim lycra shorts. Maybe even winkle pickers with cleats on the bottom. So achingly hip. And so last year (and the year before).

simongt

Guru
Of course if you want to be picky, a beard could have a detrimental effect if you come off and end up using your chin / face as a brake. :wacko: The medics would have a bit of a task picking bits of stiff facial hair out of the deep gashes as well as all that road grit.

Top Bottom