Bearing adjustment, Shimano rear wheel ***SORTED***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noticed this morning on pre-ride check that the rear wheel had noticeable side-to-side play. Now, I understand how cups and cones work, but how in the name of (insert preferred sky-fairy name here) do you lock the drive side cone against anything? There's no way to hold it. I've looked at many youtube videos, but they all seem to merely explain how the basics work, which I understand.
The only way I can see to do this is to remove the axle completely, tighten the drive-side cone against its various outer bits, then rebuild and do the actual bearing adjustment from the non-drive side.
It's a standard Shimano hub on an R500 wheel, nothing remotely weird.
Your (fairly urgent) help appreciated!

Quick call to LBS seems to confirm that I need to completely remove the axle, lock it up, then reassemble.
That's my afternoon sorted, then...
:sad:

si_c

Guru
As @Dogtrousers says you don't need to touch the drive side at all. In many respects a hub bearing arrangement in shimano hubs is similar to an old loose cup and cone bottom bracket arrangement with a fixed side and an adjustable side - the drive side on the hub being the fixed.

Drop the wheel out and loosen the left side lock nut, tighten the cone up ever so slightly to eliminate any play and then using your cone spanner hold it in place and then re-tighten the locknut. This should take about 5 minutes or so.

Don't forget to check the wheel in the dropouts as tightening the QR applies load to the bearings.

Top Bottom