Bearings, Discs & a few other questions....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bagheera

Hi All,

Just getting back into cycling and have resurrected my old mountain bike. It's a halfords Apollo that's done a fair few miles since I bought it back in 2012. I'm doing some maintenance on it and have a few questions after stripping down the front end. I'm hoping to spruce it up for off roading but also buy a new Giant Hybrid in the coming months for a better road riding experience.

When replacing a disc, should you always use new pads afterwards?

When should I replace a caliper/what should I be looking for when inspecting them?

I removed the front wheel and turned the bearing by hand and can hear a rough noise. I opened it up and there's plenty of grease in there. Is that normal for a bad bearing? What should I be looking for with bearings? They've never been serviced/replaced in the bike's life.

And lastly, with the front brake cable, are they a universal fit at the leavers? There's like a metal lump that slots in at the levers for want of a better description! On the other end, I'm presuming you just buy any length cable, cut it and crimp it then fit the end cap at the caliper?

I'd appreciate any help/advice!
Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Apollo are Halford's bargain basement brand and my experience with them has shown they are poorly made with inferior components. That's not to say they're totally useless but I shouldn't spend too much money getting it into shape. Without looking at the wheel bearing I can't say what it needs but it sounds like it's badly worn.
I should replace what you need to and see how it goes. Brake and gear cables are cheap and easy to replace. The thing that screws into the lever end where the cable goes into the lever is an adjuster. You need to cut the cable outer and inners with a good cable cutter.
If it starts to look like it needs a ton spending on it it should save your money and put it into the Giant.

Gunk

Guru
With the wheel bearings the grease is probably just a bit congealed, loosen the lock nut release the cone and squirt just a little WD40 both sides and tighten it up leaving a tiny bit of play, they should then spin freely.

OP
OP
B

Bagheera

With the wheel bearings the grease is probably just a bit congealed, loosen the lock nut release the cone and squirt just a little WD40 both sides and tighten it up leaving a tiny bit of play, they should then spin freely.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'll do as you've suggested. Can I just ask though, the ball bearings themselves - is it possible they could be damaged after years of neglect and what do i look for to know they need replacing ? They are loose 'cup and cone' type bearings btw :smile:

OP
OP
B

Bagheera

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Apollo are Halford's bargain basement brand and my experience with them has shown they are poorly made with inferior components. That's not to say they're totally useless but I shouldn't spend too much money getting it into shape. Without looking at the wheel bearing I can't say what it needs but it sounds like it's badly worn.
I should replace what you need to and see how it goes. Brake and gear cables are cheap and easy to replace. The thing that screws into the lever end where the cable goes into the lever is an adjuster. You need to cut the cable outer and inners with a good cable cutter.
If it starts to look like it needs a ton spending on it it should save your money and put it into the Giant.

Thanks it's good to be here and I'm loving being back on my bike!

You're right really about the Apollo, but I'm using it as an opportunity to learn the mechanics of bikes for the future so don't mind spending a bit on it even if it only gets used occasionally on off road rides. I've replaced the front disc as I had a spare, do you always put new pads on new discs as with cars?

When do people generally replace calipers on bikes?

Thanks again for replying.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not a bad idea to use the Apollo as something to learn some fettling skills.
Regards the brakes if you've put a new disc on you can still use the old pads if in good condition and not too badly scored. The trouble is I can bet they are cheap brakes which may no longer have pads available for them. I should clean the calipers up, put in the pads to see how well they work.
The reason for replacing calipers is that the old ones may be difficult to adjust and are giving problems or they are simply no longer effective. I'm in that situation with the disc brakes on one of my bikes and will be replacing them. The problem with doing that on yours is it's going to cost you more than the bike is worth so that's a decision for you to make.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Gunk

Guru
I'll do as you've suggested. Can I just ask though, the ball bearings themselves - is it possible they could be damaged after years of neglect and what do i look for to know they need replacing ? They are loose 'cup and cone' type bearings btw :smile:

I’ve managed to get 30 year old wheels spinning nicely, they should be fine.

Brooks

If you are going to use this bike to learn new skills then I'd replace the bearings. Carefully take them out and count how many are there. Wilko do a nifty little pen magnet for £2.50 which is ideal for collecting the bearing. Then bring one to the bike shop so they can give you the correct size.
Look on YouTube for how to videos and you'll be on your way😀 You may need a couple of cone spanners for the job but they'll come in handy in the future as you'll have the confidence to service wheels again.

OP
OP
B

Bagheera

If you are going to use this bike to learn new skills then I'd replace the bearings. Carefully take them out and count how many are there. Wilko do a nifty little pen magnet for £2.50 which is ideal for collecting the bearing. Then bring one to the bike shop so they can give you the correct size.
Look on YouTube for how to videos and you'll be on your way😀 You may need a couple of cone spanners for the job but they'll come in handy in the future as you'll have the confidence to service wheels again.

Thanks for replying. With the way things are I may wait before visiting a bike shop.....is there any way to measure a bearing and buy online? I saw a few on ebay. I could take a chance and buy a few packs as they're not expensive. I bought a nifty little tool kit from halfords, so have a few decent tools in there although i doubt it covers everything but there are cone spanners and a bottom bracket tool amongst other things.

Out of interest, who is your go to online parts retailer with easy returns etc?

Brooks

Thanks for replying. With the way things are I may wait before visiting a bike shop.....is there any way to measure a bearing and buy online? I saw a few on ebay. I could take a chance and buy a few packs as they're not expensive. I bought a nifty little tool kit from halfords, so have a few decent tools in there although i doubt it covers everything but there are cone spanners and a bottom bracket tool amongst other things.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...MInKbC4-np6AIVRLTtCh0Xewk7EAQYASABEgKzSfD_BwE

Brooks

Sorry that link was very big lol. You don't really need that tool as a visit to the bike shop with one of your bearings will secure what you need.
I try not to get too much stuff online as I hate having to return things to an online retailer. I can get most of the stuff I need via click and collect at my local Halfords.

OP
OP
B

Bagheera

Sorry that link was very big lol. You don't really need that tool as a visit to the bike shop with one of your bearings will secure what you need.
I try not to get too much stuff online as I hate having to return things to an online retailer. I can get most of the stuff I need via click and collect at my local Halfords.
lol not at all thanks for posting! I will get one of those because as i work my way overhauling the bike i'll no doubt need other bearings etc....

I do know where you're coming from and have had the same headaches with online car parts suppliers but have found one that has a fairly no hassle returns process so not all bad. Do you find halfords competitively priced on parts? I've found them a bit pricey on other stuff.....

Ajax Bay

Guru
Can I just ask though, the ball bearings themselves - is it possible they could be damaged after years of neglect and what do i look for to know they need replacing ? They are loose 'cup and cone' type bearings
Damaged: unlikely, at least not enough to have any significant adverse effect.
Honestly, phone up your local bike shop and then visit to get a little bag of bearings (ie balls): it's the best way to go - cheap and quick and assured. Don't faff around. Bike shops have stayed open (some) to help people keep and get bikes on the road for both commuting and exercise. Don't think Halfords is your best bet. Alternatively, don't replace them: they probably don't need replacing. Just give them and the cups and cones et al a good clean.

OP
OP
B

Bagheera

Damaged: unlikely, at least not enough to have any significant adverse effect.
Honestly, phone up your local bike shop and then visit to get a little bag of bearings (ie balls): it's the best way to go - cheap and quick and assured. Don't faff around. Bike shops have stayed open (some) to help people keep and get bikes on the road for both commuting and exercise. Don't think Halfords is your best bet. Alternatively, don't replace them: they probably don't need replacing. Just give them and the cups and cones et al a good clean.
Thanks for replying. Would that apply to all the bearings on the diffdrent parts of the bike? What type of grease should i use on the bearings?

Ajax Bay

Guru
all the bearings on the diffdrent parts of the bike? What type of grease should i use on the bearings?
Bearings in cup and cone hub bearings will likely be loose (balls) and easily cleaned. The bottom bracket is probably square taper and probably will be fine. If it isn't, replace (UN-26 or UN-55). The headset bearings will probably be caged and can be cleaned by submerging in a solvent (eg parafin, shallow). Take care to note which way up they were before removal to help you put them back the correct way up.
Pedals have bearings but, frankly, they are difficult to service: replace if they become u/s.
Grease: search on here for more threads than there are types of grease, with recommendations.

Top Bottom