Beaten by a 15 yr old...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
That`s me just back from doing the Bealach Beag and was in awe of the winner, a young bloke who did the course in 2hrs 22 - it took me 3hrs 37 - I`m 48, 6ft and 13st, he was 15 and looked about 6st wet lol

He climbed the Bealach in about 30 mins, I took nearly an hour! And once I got down the other side, the remaining climbs were a slog!

So, what can I do to improve my climbing? I realise it`s not just as simple as "do more climbing". Are there any training techiques to help me improve?

That`s me just back from doing the Bealach Beag and was in awe of the winner, a young bloke who did the course in 2hrs 22 - it took me 3hrs 37 - I`m 48, 6ft and 13st, he was 15 and looked about 6st wet lol

He climbed the Bealach in about 30 mins, I took nearly an hour! And once I got down the other side, the remaining climbs were a slog!

So, what can I do to improve my climbing? I realise it`s not just as simple as "do more climbing". Are there any training techiques to help me improve?
All you can do, in these circumstances, is MTFU. That, and learn to use your gears effectively of course:thumbsup:.

Citius

If you've ever watched any youth racing, you'd know that being beaten by a 15yo is no shame at all. The lad is much younger, much lighter and - by the sound of it - much fitter than you.

To improve your climbing, you can do a number of things including riding more, riding harder, riding longer, or all of those things in various combinations, according to your commitment and available free time. You can also lose weight, if that is an option. Difficult to be any more specific really.

Sheesh cry me a river!! I get my butt handed to me weekly by a 14 year old on anything steeper than 4-5%. I'm not all that slow either!!
Though in my defence he is the leading Scottish junior at that age group. Still frightening!!

:whistle:

ayceejay

Guru
Actually doing more hills in your training IS part of your answer and you can add intervals or repeats for variety. As for technique a high cadence is worth a try as is trying to stay seated. learning, to relax your shoulders is a good practice as is loosening your grip bending your arms and changing hand position as these save energy that should be going to the legs.

All you can do is "MTFU"??? It's always useful to know you can come on here and get useless advice, what a ridiculous answer. There is a lot you can do to improve your hill climbing. Sure, climbing lots of hills helps but if your technique is poor then you are limited.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
All you can do is "MTFU"??? It's always useful to know you can come on here and get useless advice, what a ridiculous answer. There is a lot you can do to improve your hill climbing. Sure, climbing lots of hills helps but if your technique is poor then you are limited.

What should I be looking at to improve technique then. I do my best to go in a straight line, try to relax and keep telling myself to "pull up" on the up-stroke of pedalling. I also try to keep my breathing under control by counting out loud lol

Citius

I don't really know what 'technique' means in this context, but all the technique in the world won't make up for a lack of fitness, and consciously trying to 'pull up' is a waste of time. Don't try to control your breathing - just breathe as much and as often as your body needs to. In other words, let it do its thing.

Top Bottom