Beaten by a 15 yr old...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Look, it is impossible to advise via a keyboard without actually seeing you in action so to speak, I coach one of the most successful amateurs in the country in hill climbing and have given advice to many people over the years. Those that have ridden with us will know how we perform in the hills, this is not bragging, it's just what we do. There is a fair chance I will be in Edinburgh on Sat 2nd May and could have a little time to spare.
Two pointers that few people take into account, you have to completely comfortable and at one with your bike and secondly, psychologically there should be no fear of hills, just the opposite, both are important factors.

I do feel comfortable on the bike and I`m definitely not scared of them - there is one rather steep climb of about a mile round here that I do reps on but I have to do it at least 7 times in order to equal the length of climbing the Bealach and I get to recover each time I come down. And being a competitive bugger, I try to beat each uphill climb in an attempt to improve!

I wont actually be in Edinburgh on 2nd May but thank you anyway - we could have raced up Arthur`s Seat and you could have waited at the top for me lol

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There's only three things you need to concentrate on:
1) Your fitness. How many watts can you sustain. That really only comes from training.
2) Your weight. On a steepish long hill, all that matters is watts/kg. You can train your watts up but you should try to get your kg down
3) Mental toughness. Don't underestimate this. The ability to maintain a high effort for an extended period needs mental toughness not to ease off

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I dont think No.3 is a problem as I actually qyite like cycling up hills! No.1 and 2 I can work on.

I'm not particularly technically minded when it comes to my bike so I thought I would check out the gearing on it. The only numbers I can see are 50/34T on the crankset, is that good, bad or indifferent. FWIW, the bile is a Cannondale Synapse Tiagra 2014

After some thought, I`ve realised that`s probably the teeth on the two chain-rings - told you I was very good at this kind of thing. There does appear to be some numbers stamped on the actual cassette but I`ll have to wait until my son comes home so he can read them - I would count them but I`m now back in y office :sad:

Last edited:

BRounsley

Über Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28363129

I found this article interesting. I read it as - a typical “climber” had a higher sustainable power to weight where a typical “sprinter” had a much higher peak power to weight. On a long climb a sprinter can’t maintain that higher/peak output so all that extra muscle power (and weight) become extra ballast and gravity works it’s magic.

So a 15 years is probably more a typical climber physiology.

My suggestion is extreme equipment weigh saving - so only ride in Speedos and don’t bother mixing your energy drink with water,just eat the powder on the bike....that and a pre-ride dump!!!

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I was rather good at going downhill and on the flat - so much so that on every other climb round the coast (there`s at least 6 or 7), I would get dropped by the people in front of me. I would then zoom past them on the descent and on the flat, only for them to pass me on the incline again!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was rather good at going downhill and on the flat - so much so that on every other climb round the coast (there`s at least 6 or 7), I would get dropped by the people in front of me. I would then zoom past them on the descent and on the flat, only for them to pass me on the incline again!
Ha ha ...

ColinJ said:
A great example of that was on a holiday on the Costa Blanca a few years back. I was grovelling up a huge hill when a skinny female cyclist shot past me about half a mile from the summit. When I finally got to the top, I could see her way ahead of me on the descent. I set off in pursuit and caught her up by the time she was half way down. I overtook her at 50 mph, barely even pedalling. I looked back and her legs were spinning round at a ridiculously high cadence and she couldn't get close to me. When the road flattened off, I slowed down and she finally caught up and asked how that was possible. She'd been spinning out in her highest gear. I asked how much she weighed and her weight was 7 stone. I weighed about 13.5 stone at the time...

:laugh:

I have noticed how much slower I am descending now that I have lost weight. I chased @nickyboy down off Holme Moss last year and could not stay with him. When I was heavier, I had to brake to limit my speed to 50 mph going down there!

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Steroids, blood doping, and amphetamines are the only likely way of beating a teen. Just enjoy the ride.

Take him out, it's like a big lorry vs smart car lol!!!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ha ha ...

:laugh:

I have noticed how much slower I am descending now that I have lost weight. I chased @nickyboy down off Holme Moss last year and could not stay with him. When I was heavier, I had to brake to limit my speed to 50 mph going down there!

Don't forget I was quicker UP Holme Moss too. Despite lugging that ridiculously heavy rucksack for you! However, hearing of your continuing weight loss that may have to be consigned to history. I'm same weight as always

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't forget I was quicker UP Holme Moss too. Despite lugging that ridiculously heavy rucksack for you! However, hearing of your continuing weight loss that may have to be consigned to history. I'm same weight as always
Yes, you did impress me that day! Climbing well with your own weight PLUS the rucksack ...

I am getting better but my back is still letting me down. I'm working on it ...

Globalti

Legendary Member
My son aged 16 can beat me up climbs but then he only weighs 9 stone whereas I weigh 11 1/2 stone. What he and his pals lack though is stamina, both because they tend to rush up hils and because they just don't have the stored reserves, I guess.

Top Bottom