beating jet lag.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Far too much trouble. Just send em a telegram to read out at the reception

Odyssey

Jetlag has nothing to do with the amount of sleep you get on the plane. It's the fact that when you get there, day is night, night is day, and your body hasn't the slightest clue what is going on.

If you're the type of person that can sleep anytime and anywhere then you'll probably be fine. But if you're anything like me you'll find yourself going to sleep at 2am and waking up at 4am because your body refuses to sleep for any length of time during the day, even though it's the middle of the night. No amount of sleep on the plane will change that.

Sleeping pills might...

gavintc

Guru
I am flying Brunei Airways to Brunei in a couple of weeks. I am told that the flight is dry, so not much chance of drinking too much.

Maz

Guru
I find that no matter how tired I feel once the plane lands, forcing myself to stay awake until local sleep time helps tremendously to get over jetlag.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've done a fair bit of flying and can say that jet lag hits you sometimes and not others, there doesn't seem to be any set thing to help or increase it. Keeping alcholol consumption at reasonable levels is advisable but not always easy if you're in the mood for some more. You do need a Visa for entry into Oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
You do need a Visa for entry into Oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But a criminal record is no longer obligatory! :angry:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I got over the jet lag flying to Singapore by going out and getting wasted on arrival, staying out until 5am, then spending the next day asleep.....

I then went out and got hammered again the following night. by the time i recovered from that jet lag was no longer a problem

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Fab Foodie said:
My really top flying tip (for a man) is this; if you want really good service, don't try and sweet-talk the Air hostesses, they've heard it all before, but try smiling at the male Air Stewards and you'll find the standard of service often improves.
WQuote from last year's UK Eurovision entry (from Scooch... how the hell do I know this at 6.43 am) "Would you like something to suck on for landing, sir?" :angry:

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

HLab - Thanks for the Visa link ....much appreciated!!

Well, it seems that you all have differing opinions so my plan is going to be this ...

Moderate alcohol consumption on the plane.
Moderate food intake
I land in the morning of the 9th so i will stay up all day until everyone else goes to bed....this may not be difficult however as the stag night is on the 9th so i think the excess of alcohol will keep me awake all day and night.

With regards to body clock adjusting i may have a slight advantage in that im a shift worker, this means that my body clock is in a constant state of confusion and can usually adapt to whatever is required.

Many thanks for the advise guys - especialy the Visa

Evilcat

I do Oz/NZ once or twice a year, and the jet lag approach you need tends to be different from transatlantic (which I used to do monthly).

Usually I find the best method is to try and sleep on both outbound flights and then make sure I'm out in daylight when I get there. if I'm feeling tired/hungover(!) I will grab just enough sleep in the morning to keep me awake and then ensure I'm out and about until a reasonable time in the evening.

For the usual return journey (i.e. landing early morning in the UK) I've found the best way of minimising jetlag on arrival is to stay up for the first sector and then spend transit time staggering around in small circles until I can sleep on the final sector. Then I'm more or less OK.

As others have said, the key is to convincing your body to follow the new time zone, which means mealtimes appropriate to your destination and getting out in the sunlight as much as possible. You can take melotonin too, but (a) it's not available without prescription in the UK (but is in many other countries) and (:smile: it doesn't work for some people.

EC

Keith Oates

Janner
Fab Foodie said:
My really top flying tip (for a man) is this; if you want really good service, don't try and sweet-talk the Air hostesses, they've heard it all before, but try smiling at the male Air Stewards and you'll find the standard of service often improves.

One of the first times I went to Hong Kong was on a BA flight and it was 'chock a block' full. I was quite a way back in the plane and by the time the stewardess got to me I could see she was harassed. Without thinking about it I just said you're having a hard time tonight I really feel sorry for you but you're doing a good job. I promptly got two minatures of Gin and whatever else I wanted for the rest of the trip. (As far a food, drink etc. was concerned)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom