beating jet lag.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Help needed please.

Im travelling to a friends wedding in Brisbane in September.
I will be going alone as the kids are too young for the 30hr flight and the missus will not leave them with the out-laws.

So i have agreed to go alone :ohmy:

Im only going for a week though and am about to book my flights ....here is the itinery -

Manchester depart 20.50 on the 7th
Dubai arrive 07.00 on the 8th
Dubai Depart 08.45 on the 8th
Brisbane Arrive 07:00 on the 9th

On the way back
Brisbane depart 20.05 on the 15th
Dubai arrive 06:00 on the 16th
Dubai depart 07.55 on the 16th
Man arrive 12.25 on the 16th

Does anyone know what the best way of beating the jet lag on this journey would be .... i know there are theories about when to sleep and when not to sleep etc so if you have any advice i would be grateful.

Also ...possibly a stoooopid question - do i need a visa or anything for Oz or just the bog standard turn up at the airport with a suitcase full of dodgy hawaian shirts and a passport will do?

Bigtallfatbloke

Does anyone know what the best way of beating the jet lag on this journey would be

a bottle of scotch?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
eat when you're hungry
drink when you're dry
sleep when you're tired
stare out the window a lot
don't talk to strangers
drink lots of water
eat a pot noodle if offered

Trillian

from my dad's experience of spending a week in japan or oz, you'll not be overly jet lagged while out there, just when you get back, but then he struggles to sleep on planes.

Peter

I fly quite a lot and always suffer from jetlag. I don't sleep much on the plane, drink too much coffee and alcohol and eat too much. Avoid all of the above and you will be OK :ohmy:
I still prefer jetlag.

Following David Boon's example might help or not! :ohmy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Boon#Cult_Figure

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's a long time since I flew to the far east I can't really remember how I coped, I was a lot younger and it was my Honeymoon!

However, I've done shedloads of Transatlantic and other flying, my basic flying tips FWIW are:

Try to adjust as best as possible to the time zone you're flying to from the moment the wheels go up, so looks like you need to grab a decent kip twixt each change of plane (you don't say how many hours flying time each leg is). Try to do the same with eating intervals. I find I can cope with the fatigue of flying, but my stomach can take ages to catch-up. Important to eat at meal times and not graze. Limit Alcohol and Coffe/Tea. Drink plenty of water. Drink plenty of water. Did I mention water...OK.

BIG tip... Foam earplugs. Take plenty, really help the sleeping bit.
Decent eye-shields, not those nasty sweaty plastic freebie ones, nice soft material ones.
Neck Pillow. Just nice to have a change of neck/head position. Sitting by the window gives a bit more comfort but can be claustrophobic.
Take plenty mints, chewing gum... if the person next to you has bad breath... offer them some gum!
Take plenty opportunity to stand a while. Some planes are better accomodated for this having an area at the rear to loiter a while and flex the muscles and stretch.

My really top flying tip (for a man) is this; if you want really good service, don't try and sweet-talk the Air hostesses, they've heard it all before, but try smiling at the male Air Stewards and you'll find the standard of service often improves.

Snap, I'm going over for a wedding in Melbourne next month.
I needed a visa, it cost £20 but only took minutes on line to fill in and within seconds they had sent me a text message confirming I'd been accepted and few minutes later the email arrived confirming it :ohmy:.

Visa Link

got-to-get-fit said:
Help needed please.

Im travelling to a friends wedding in Brisbane in September.
I will be going alone as the kids are too young for the 30hr flight and the missus will not leave them with the out-laws.

So i have agreed to go alone :smile:

Im only going for a week though and am about to book my flights ....here is the itinery -

Manchester depart 20.50 on the 7th
Dubai arrive 07.00 on the 8th
Dubai Depart 08.45 on the 8th
Brisbane Arrive 07:00 on the 9th

On the way back
Brisbane depart 20.05 on the 15th
Dubai arrive 06:00 on the 16th
Dubai depart 07.55 on the 16th
Man arrive 12.25 on the 16th

Does anyone know what the best way of beating the jet lag on this journey would be .... i know there are theories about when to sleep and when not to sleep etc so if you have any advice i would be grateful.

Also ...possibly a stoooopid question - do i need a visa or anything for Oz or just the bog standard turn up at the airport with a suitcase full of dodgy hawaian shirts and a passport will do?

Nothing really gets rid of the jetlag, but I travel transatlantic a few times a year and the following makes it easier. As someone else has said, neck pillow, earplugs and an eyemask makes it easier to sleep. When you get on the plane set your watch to the time of your destination at the start of the journey. Drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol and caffeine. I also take 'jetease' a homeopathic remedy which alleviates the symptoms of jetlag. You can buy it on the internet. It only works if you don't drink though... When you arrive try to tough it out and go to bed when everyone else does, rather than follow your own body clock. Avoid sleeping tablets as they just turn you into a wreck.
That's about it. All from bitter experience though.

k-dog

Supposedly not eating during the trip helps a lot - although I've not tried it yet.

You just don't eat the whole way there and then eat the appropriate meal for local time when you get there. You'll be starving by then probably but it sounds like it could help.

Someone did some study that showed that our body clock is strongly linked to mealtimes.

gbb

Legendary Member
Reading FabFoodies post makes a lot of sense.....i do the exact opposite..and struggle xx(:sad:;):biggrin:

I drink and eat anything and everything they put in front of me :tongue:...and then suffer.xx(

Earplugs and a pillow..definately.
Window seat does allow you to rest your head on the side...

But....sometimes it's just not going to be easy.
I did a 12 hour flight from South America..Business Class. Front of the plane (much less engine noise) and a fully reclining seat that very near became a bed, pillows and a spread, quiet cabin, i was already dog tired....still struggled :wacko:

Top Bottom