1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beating my head against the wall

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Crock of Gold, 23 Jun 2008.

  1. Crock of Gold

    Crock of Gold Guest

    Cleaned my hybrid on Sunday. Get myself all shiny, ready and bright for my commute this week.

    I also needed to fix a puncture on my tube.

    Spent an hour cleaning the bike and oiling it.

    Fixed the puncture. Stuck the tube in. Had a shower as I was caked in dirt. Really clean and fresh after shower. Went to put bike in shed. Flat tire!!!!!!!!! It was now 2pm. Bugger it. I'll put my spare (also puncture repaired) tube in Monday morning. I'm clean, you see, my first can is opened and I want to sit in the Garden reading the paper.

    Woke up at 5.30 this morning. Cup of tea. Checked tyre and rims for sharp things. Put in spare tube. Breakfast. Tolf my son to go back to bed (he woke up at 6.15). Checked tyre pressure at 6.30. Still fine. (If it hadn't been I'd have come in on my fixed).

    Left home at 7am. 14 miles into work takes me 1hr 5 mins. Felt good. About 5 miles on at Colliers Wood the tyre started to go spongy. Bugger. Dismount and repump.

    4 miles further on tyre goes down again. Bugger. Dismount and repump at Clapham North.

    3 miles further on, tyre goes flat again (just before Imperial war Museum). Dismount and repump.

    1 mile further on. Tyre goes flat. Bugger. But I'm opposite Evans now. Like an Oasis in the desert it is OPEN!!! Buy new tube: £4.50. Put it into the tyre. Pump up. VALVE BUST!!!!!!! Bugger.

    Re-enter Evans and buy new inner-tube. Another £4.50. BUT - to avoid looking incompetent I pretended it was a "spare" and wheeled the bike round the corner before inserting it! In case the staff saw me. Macho pride and all that. To be honest I felt like crying with frustration at that point.

    Stuck in new tube. Just shy off Blackfriars Bridge. Cycled last mile or so to work.

    Got there at 9am!!!!! Thing is, I wasn't late!!!!!

    But you don't want to do that every day. And I still need to buy a spare inner-tube another (£4.50).

  2. Riding in Circles

    Riding in Circles Veteran

    £4.50? I must put my prices up.
  3. Maz

    Maz Guru

    If the the valve broke on the new inner tube, I would've told them - it could've been faulty or something.

    I remember going to the LBS once and there was a fella in there complaining to the owner that he only had his bike serviced there a few days ago and had already picked up a puncture!
  4. Crock of Gold

    Crock of Gold Guest

  5. domtyler

    domtyler Über Member

    Most shops 'll have a track pump near the cash desk that you can borrow.
  6. Crock of Gold

    Crock of Gold Guest

    I'll do that on the way home tonight. When I pick up a spare tube.

    £13.50 spent on tubes in one day.

  7. domtyler

    domtyler Über Member

    Buy in bulk online maybe?
  8. Crock of Gold

    Crock of Gold Guest

    I'll think about it.

    Thing is I've had a few months of trouble-free cycling and then this. (It started on my way home Friday).

    Karma. My bad luck is over now. (Fingers crossed)
  9. Wolf04

    Wolf04 New Member

    Wallsend on Tyne
    Or you still haven't found the sharp that's causing the UDE's
  10. Crock of Gold

    Crock of Gold Guest

  11. cannondale boy

    cannondale boy Über Member

    somewhere in fife
    P*nctu*es they are a nuisance. Had one yesterday going over the forth road bridge. Just as i was approching the bridge went past a bus stop and pop...a shard of glass was embedded in the tyre (bloody neds at bus stops). Anyway its a good thing i wasn't at the middle of the bridge 1) it was blowing a gale, and 2) the bridge moves slightly up and down so that would of been great trying to get the wheel back on :biggrin:.

    Oh and another thing...very bizzare moment going over the bridge. A motor cyclist near enough lost a spare helmet, which was on the back of his bike, fell off due to the high winds (i think). Luckly enough no drivers were going to fast, but it was a funny scene!
  12. CopperBrompton

    CopperBrompton Formerly Trikeman

    Had a p*nct*r* yesterday, but found the best way to do it: suddenly heard a loud hissing while I was sat in my living room, and reached the hall just in time to hear the last of the air escaping from the rear tyre.

    A bizarre one: the tube just split with no sign of any tyre penetration. But if it's going to happen, sat at home is the way to do it. :-)

  13. Freewheeler

    Freewheeler Well-Known Member

    Had a good one a few years ago. It was a literally freezing night, and I pumped up the tyres to max pressure using a garage airline on the way round to my mates. Got to his flat and brought the bike inside, leaving it in the kitchen. The weather was so cold that he had the oven turned on with the door open, making the kitchen nice and warm.

    Anyway, we're sat there enjoying a couple of beers when the most almighty explosion went off in the kitchen. It was bloody terrifying, we both thought it was the gas or something. Turns out I'd forgotten about the relationship between gas pressure and temperature! I think the tyre survived ok, but the tube was shredded. It must have forced the tyre off the rim.
  14. Crock of Gold

    Crock of Gold Guest

    Sorted. New spare last night and used Track-Pump in shop to sort out the tyre pressures.

    This morning. Warm and lovely. Cycled 3.5 miles (approx) from home. Stopped at level-Crossing at Raynes Park (about 7.15ish). Feeling healthy, relaxed and ready to go.

    Motorbike pulls up behind me. I pull over to let him go first when the gates rise.

    I feel FRESH! Hmmm. Strange. My back is usually sweaty! BUGGER!!!!! I LEFT MY RUCKSACK AT HOME. It has my work-clothes, wallet, work mobile, personal mobile, office swipe card, house key, bike lock, bike tools, spare tube and Lunch.

    And my wife is working today and leaving home at 7.35!!!!!!!

    Shall I stay or shall I go? Go to work and stay in sweaty clothes and shorts or cycle back home to catch the wife before she leaves, so I'm not locked out!!!!!

    Cycled back. Got there at at 7.30.

    Cycled to work againg. Got in at 8.45 am (I start at 9). 21 miles all in.

    Nice ride. Really enjoyed it. I won the Commuter Peloton challenge as well. In my mind only, I fixed the start line from Stockwell to finish at the Oval. And I won. Though nobody else knew they were in a race!