Beautiful custom bikes: steel all-road, road and gravel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The idea of road geometry with clearances for 55mm tyres sounds all ok
This is really good. I run a pure road bike frame, but with flat bars and MTB rear gearing. Front gears are pure road triple (and BIG!). But it can only go to 25mm tyres! Aaargh!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Call me old fashioned but I'd sooner have a handbuilt Mercian,

1596745416799.png

MntnMan62

Über Member
Call me old fashioned but I'd sooner have a handbuilt Mercian,

View attachment 540155

Can I assume that's yours sitting there? It's absolutely gorgeous. I love the matching leather bar wrap, saddle and saddle bag. I'd probably go with clipless pedals but now I'm splitting hairs. But aren't you supposed to be a Raleigh "nut"?

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
All with Crackbon forks though. :rolleyes:
Yes, ideally with a skinny steel fork, and I'd be happy to stop at 42mm tyres (and a good set of centre pulls!). :smile:

Richard Hallett made this for me. 38mm light tubeless tyres, stainless steel fork blades & stays. He calls it an 'Adventure Bike'. It's certainly remarkably capable both on & off road.
The Hallet is gorgeous & the versatility is something I'm looking for now: I've just retired my old road frame that couldn't fit more than 23mm tyres.

My early eighties 73 square steel frame fits 32mm tyres with mudguards. 32mm feels a lot better than 23, and it's rapid & comfy on bridleways and tracks. I'd love to try 38 - 42mm tyres, but at the moment it looks like my future bike is something from the past. ^_^

MntnMan62

Über Member
Black hood's with brown leather tape???
Who is this criminal?
Let them suffer a lifetime locked in a soundproof room and made to endure Barry Minilows Greatest Hits! :angry:

Awe, c'mon. Those hoods match the tires perfectly. That bike is gorgegeous. And I bet it rides like the wind......

It is the night
My body's weak
I'm on the run
No time to sleep
I've got to ride
Ride like the wind
To be free again

:rolleyes:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can I assume that's yours sitting there? It's absolutely gorgeous. I love the matching leather bar wrap, saddle and saddle bag. I'd probably go with clipless pedals but now I'm splitting hairs. But aren't you supposed to be a Raleigh "nut"?
Nah, I was about to 'pull the pin' on ordering a Mercian Audax Special frame to be built when I had my accident, luckily I still had the cash in the bank when my Femur didn't heal and after the 2nd bigger 'Intramedullay Nail' was inserted I had the cash to buy and then modify the Trike from this,

1596746733581.png

To how it is in my Avatar for just on £1,000 (The cost of a Mercian Frame)

The 'username' raleighnut comes from my 1st ever post on here when someone was posting about drilling out a rear brake bridge on a Raleigh to take a modern 'sleeve nut' type rear brake and I suggested doing what I had done when I fitted one which was to use a front 'sleeve nut' type on the back and fitting a normal 'Nylock' nut to secure it (the threaded bit on the rear brake isn't long enough but the front is just the right length to do this.

I do own 4 Raleigh bikes though so the username stuck. :laugh:

Top Bottom