Becoming fashionable…..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
There's something to be said for a bike built for a purpose rather than something you adapted for a purpose because that's what you've already got. Probably bikes used for racing in the far distant past have what we would regard as relaxed angles and forgiving geometry by modern standards. Everyday bikes were even more relaxed because of the roads they were designed for. So maybe not so much fashion but their form was dictated by their function. They were meant to be everyday transport, fixable to a large extent but even they were eventually disposable, to be replaced by something similar, or more aspirational. Maybe even a motorbike (which again originated as functional transport rather than a fine weather plaything), or even a car. It seems to be part of a cycle (pardon the pun) as you can see repeated in the developing world.

Old bikes in my limited experience seem to be stable, easy to ride and maybe a bit heavy. Modern examples are things such as "Dutch Bikes" or versions of traditional English 3 speed bikes that some manufacturers still produce. An actual old bike is nice to have because of its history but you can have something newer which gives you a similar riding experience.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the bicycle industry was at the root of modern mass production systems for motorised vehicles moving from the manufacture of sewing machines to bicycles then diversifying. So creating consumer demand is not something suddenly new and evil but part of a continuum that started at the end of the Victorian era. Creating and meeting demands goes back to the early days of the Industrial Revolution, and perhaps the railways can be blamed, together with the catalogue companies, if you want to blame somebody, for promoting and making easily available factory made products that were almost impossible to get a generation or so before that.

So fashion is tied in with consumerism. The exploitation of human acquisitiveness is nothing new, but today we are more aware of the ecological and climatic cost of producing and disposing of things. It is to be hoped that that knowledge will be enough to change the ways of manufacturers and consumers for the future. Meanwhile, let's just enjoy our bikes, new or old.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Those of us of a certain age; know that fashions disappear. And then often re-appear years later in a slightly different guise. Clothing, fashion, watches, glasses frames. I’m sure it happens ‘everywhere’. And I’m guessing cycling to some degree is no different 🤷‍♂️

My Boss is a WW2 / Military collector / historian. Amongst his vast collection is a number of WW2 bikes. Inc folding Paratrooper bikes (?) :

View attachment 668166

And these:

View attachment 668167

Which if I’m not mistaken look to have the seemingly Uber fashionable ‘Gravel’ wheels / tyres on: 80 years ahead of their time:

View attachment 668168

Just saying “Fashionista’s” 😛

That rubber looks remarkably intact considering it’s WW2

mustang1

Legendary Member
I think fashions do get re-cycled but each re-cycle of said fashion gets a new twist. So for example, if big shirt collars came back into fashion, the colours would be more vibrant or there would be something different, not a 100% copy of the old fashion.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some people are prepared to queue for seven days and seven nights to obtain the latest piece of white plastic from Apple Corp. @wafter absolutely nailed it.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Still not a gravel bike just a tyre picked for terrain they're going to be used on. What you call fashion others call practical decisions.

I wonder what makes something just a fashion and other things practical decisions? There's obviously a personal opinion being made so where is the boundary between a fashion decision and a practical one?

Time, if it was done in the past it was because of practicality . Conversely if exactly the same thing happens after a certain date, which is never revealed, then its obviously just marketing.

It is important to note that when the second usage is posted no facts that show that position to be incorrect should ever be acknowledged, no matter how many times they are posted.

Top Bottom