Bee Keeping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Do we have any Apiarists on CC?

I have had a hankering to get into this for some time now, but one thing or another has kept me busy.

I'm now officially working from home, which definitely gives me much more time for myself and I also have lots of room in my garden which only neighbours a farmers field, so wouldn't bother anyone. So I reckon it would be a good time to try and learn some more about it but not really sure how or where to start. My understanding is, its already too late to start a hive this year already, so even just learning more about it would probably be a start.

Any experienced operators out there?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Do we have any Apiarists on CC?

I have had a hankering to get into this for some time now, but one thing or another has kept me busy.

I'm now officially working from home, which definitely gives me much more time for myself and I also have lots of room in my garden which only neighbours a farmers field, so wouldn't bother anyone. So I reckon it would be a good time to try and learn some more about it but not really sure how or where to start. My understanding is, its already too late to start a hive this year already, so even just learning more about it would probably be a start.

Any experienced operators out there?

There may be a local club near you.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’ve wanted to do this for a few years now too. I thought I’d be able to get started now that I‘ve retired but my wife, who was previously just as keen, has cooled on the idea.

Maybe you can find either a local club, or a local beekeeper who’d let you be their assistant for the rest of the year so that you can gain knowledge and experience.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I’ve wanted to do this for a few years now too. I thought I’d be able to get started now that I‘ve retired but my wife, who was previously just as keen, has cooled on the idea.

Maybe you can find either a local club, or a local beekeeper who’d let you be their assistant for the rest of the year so that you can gain knowledge and experience.

Shame that, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Jameshow

Veteran
How about asking a local keeper to house a few hives in your garden and learn the ropes.

It's quite easy to learn tbh. I amaze myself sometimes at how much I still know despite being 20 years ago since I did it with my dad!

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
@swarm_catcher
But haven't seen her around these here parts for a while.

Didn't even realise we had such a member. :okay:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
How about asking a local keeper to house a few hives in your garden and learn the ropes.

It's quite easy to learn tbh. I amaze myself sometimes at how much I still know despite being 20 years ago since I did it with my dad!

Yeah, that would be perfect. Kinda difficult to meet these guys though as I'm fairly new to the area and don't really know who to ask.

Two beekeepers were chatting...​

renderTimingPixel.png

"How many bees do you have?" said the first beekeeper.
"I have ten thousand bees"
"How many hives do you have?" said the first beekeeper.
"I have ten hives" came the reply.
"How many bees do you have?" asked the second beekeeper.
"I have twelve million bees"
"Thats a lot of bees!" said the second bee keeper. "How many hives do you have?"
"I have only one hive"
"Twelve million bees in just one hive!" exclaimed the second bee keeper.
The first beekeeper shrugs.
"fark 'em. They're only bees."

Alan Davies IIRC

Jameshow

Veteran

Two beekeepers were chatting...​

View attachment 682942
"How many bees do you have?" said the first beekeeper.
"I have ten thousand bees"
"How many hives do you have?" said the first beekeeper.
"I have ten hives" came the reply.
"How many bees do you have?" asked the second beekeeper.
"I have twelve million bees"
"Thats a lot of bees!" said the second bee keeper. "How many hives do you have?"
"I have only one hive"
"Twelve million bees in just one hive!" exclaimed the second bee keeper.
The first beekeeper shrugs.
"fark 'em. They're only bees."

Alan Davies IIRC

Swarm in the making!!

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I've kept bees over a couple of decades, but got out of it in 2020 due to colony decline and disease challenges.

I started in '91 with a local association. Very helpful. Thereafter helped a guy who had a proper honey operation on heather.

There's a lot to learn. Appears, from what I've heard, that the gear is getting very expensive. I've a few hives kicking about if you're near enough.

Bees can be had via Thornes, or a swarm can be caught. New Zealand strain bees make good starter colonies. They're docile. Certain European strain bees are bloody vicious.

Shout if you need more info.

Top Bottom