Bee Keeping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I've kept bees over a couple of decades, but got out of it in 2020 due to colony decline and disease challenges.

I started in '91 with a local association. Very helpful. Thereafter helped a guy who had a proper honey operation on heather.

There's a lot to learn. Appears, from what I've heard, that the gear is getting very expensive. I've a few hives kicking about if you're near enough.

Bees can be had via Thornes, or a swarm can be caught. New Zealand strain bees make good starter colonies. They're docile. Certain European strain bees are bloody vicious.

Shout if you need more info.

Thanks for the offer, I'm quite a bit aways, but I'll keep it in mind as I do travel a bit for work.

My nearest neighbour was telling me about a swarm he had just last year and he called a local guy to come and deal with it. What he described was much like @slowmotion has posted although nowhere near as dramatic as it was a 2 day operation apparently but he was delighted to get the bees. I now have his number, so going to call him today to see what information I can get locally.

Thanks Again. :okay:

No doubt this will get boring but.... :okay:

https://www.buzzaboutbees.net/do-honey-bees-harm-wild-bees.html

I Will need to learn lots more on the subject, obviously.

I'm not about to get dragged in to this, I simply wanted to raise the potential ethical issue.

There are plenty of scientific and other papers on the topic, and it's little surprise that a bee keepers website has tried to claim an alternative view. It's revealing that it's own conclusions are that the results are 'mixed'.

At the end of the day, if it's something that you think will bring you pleasure, fill your boots, I was simply offering the information that your link at least confirms exists rather than being 'obtuse'. :okay:

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No doubt this will get boring but.... :okay:

https://www.buzzaboutbees.net/do-honey-bees-harm-wild-bees.html

I Will need to learn lots more on the subject, obviously.

There is legitimate, concern about some of the products and methodologies that commercial beekeepers have used in their beekeeping.
And how that affects the bee population.
There are some nasty diseases going around that can cause colony collapse, and other disasters

But a far greater threat to bees and all the other small creatures comes from habitat destruction , and use of pesticides.

Good bee husbandry definitely needs to be born in mind, especially if your main motivation for keeping bees is for the benefit of bees overall.

There are very few natural colonies of wild honeybees in this country, so providing clean safe homes, and lots of forage for them to go about their essential work is important.

We keep bees at the farm, but mainly for their pollination services, rarely take honey from them - its very 'hands off'.

They're out atm enjoying the first dandelions.

Look into 'top bar hives' you may find them interesting.
They mimic better their natural hollowed out tree trunk habitat, and allow the bees to build their comb in a more natural fashion.

There's lots to learn.

Some ideas here, to give you a steer.

https://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/courses-and-events

I kept bees for a few years. It's not as straightforward as it seems. I first followed a course with a local bee club, bought loads of books and read up as much as I could, bought all the gear (its expensive), joined a couple of very helpful bee forums (change of computer means I no longer have their URLs, but Google is your friend) and got a colony from the club. It takes more time than you might imagine, especially in the summer when thoughts are turning to holidays but you've got to stay and look after your queen. After three years with no honey but plenty of stings the whole lot died virtually over night. They had been kept clean of viruses, fed, prevented from swarming and all. No one in the club could explain why they snuffed it. Plenty of suggestions were given, but like economists: ask three beekeepers get five answers. Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it.

Warning: really bad joke coming up:

What do you call someone who keeps bees:
A) piarist?
B) eekeeper?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm no apar, apirr, appappea...beekeeper, but I'm on ald fart who loves stuff like this so watching with interest.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
There is legitimate, concern about some of the products and methodologies that commercial beekeepers have used in their beekeeping.
And how that affects the bee population.
There are some nasty diseases going around that can cause colony collapse, and other disasters

But a far greater threat to bees and all the other small creatures comes from habitat destruction , and use of pesticides.

Good bee husbandry definitely needs to be born in mind, especially if your main motivation for keeping bees is for the benefit of bees overall.

There are very few natural colonies of wild honeybees in this country, so providing clean safe homes, and lots of forage for them to go about their essential work is important.

We keep bees at the farm, but mainly for their pollination services, rarely take honey from them - its very 'hands off'.

They're out atm enjoying the first dandelions.

Look into 'top bar hives' you may find them interesting.
They mimic better their natural hollowed out tree trunk habitat, and allow the bees to build their comb in a more natural fashion.

There's lots to learn.

Some ideas here, to give you a steer.

https://www.naturalbeekeepingtrust.org/courses-and-events

Brilliant, thanks for that.

I knew that this would be much like anything else, a good and not so good way of doing it, but my intentions are most definitely honourable, and hopefully I will be able to contribute something to the bees. If I'm honest, honey is one of the very few foods I don't like, so leaving that to the bees would be fine by me.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I kept bees for a few years. It's not as straightforward as it seems. I first followed a course with a local bee club, bought loads of books and read up as much as I could, bought all the gear (its expensive), joined a couple of very helpful bee forums (change of computer means I no longer have their URLs, but Google is your friend) and got a colony from the club. It takes more time than you might imagine, especially in the summer when thoughts are turning to holidays but you've got to stay and look after your queen. After three years with no honey but plenty of stings the whole lot died virtually over night. They had been kept clean of viruses, fed, prevented from swarming and all. No one in the club could explain why they snuffed it. Plenty of suggestions were given, but like economists: ask three beekeepers get five answers. Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it.

A) piarist?
B) eekeeper?

Wow, certainly a cautionary tale, hopefully my experience is not quite as tough. 🤞

Jameshow

Veteran
Brilliant, thanks for that.

I knew that this would be much like anything else, a good and not so good way of doing it, but my intentions are most definitely honourable, and hopefully I will be able to contribute something to the bees. If I'm honest, honey is one of the very few foods I don't like, so leaving that to the bees would be fine by me.

Why would you keep bees if you don't like honey?!🤔🤔

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

A) piarist?
B) eekeeper?

I had a very similar experience, after 18 months one hive swarmed never to be seen again, one hive just died. I did get some honey though, about 8 jars, turned out to be the most expensive honey in the world. I got stung many times, came up like the Elephant Man, the Fragrant MrsP got stung, the dogs got stung. Frankly I think me and the bees were glad to see the back of each other.

You live and learn. My advice to the OP is do your research, really thoroughly, then walk away.

EDIT. It’s a really expensive hobby.

Top Bottom