Beeline velo. New navigation app thingy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-velo

Runs on your phone and has a little pointer/display gizmo on the bars indicating which way to go. Could get a bit confusing at some junctions I imagine. Gets around weatherproofing/vulnerability issues for phones I suppose. Display slightly reminiscent of a basic Garmin of 15-20 years ago.

Could be a silly gimmick. Could be a really good idea. I don't know. I'm happy with what I have for now.

Worryingly it seems to be the navigation tool of choice for the discerning shower-stabbing psychopath, according to the given testimony:

"Beeline has become an essential part of my rides" Norman B.​

Yikes

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
"Beeline has become an essential part of my rides" Norman B.​
He's just a normal guy.

I got one of these today and took it for a 50km test ride. Brilliant! I've got an Elemnt, had a Mio and ridden with a Garmin and a Bryton, but this is better. Draw a map or enter a destination in Google maps, press the "Go" button and the arrow points you all the way. One slight hitch on a housing estate that was being built and Google maps probably hadn't invited to its software yet, but it successfully navigated its way. I tried to fool it a couple of times by going in the wrong direction but it just pointed me back to the route, and when I deliberately went off route, it recalculated and got me back on track within seconds. If you're looking for a GPS bike computer, this is it. And probably at a fraction of the price you thought you would have to pay.

I have seen the future and it works.

Saw this about 3 years ago as a kickstarter. Seems they were successful. Nice battery life but does it need phone in GPS mode whilst working?

50km took 9% of the battery. The phone does not need to be online for the device to work. It communicates by blue tooth using GPS positioning. The positioning can be a bit off at times, but I've fond that to be the case with all GPS systems.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
50km took 9% of the battery. The phone does not need to be online for the device to work. It communicates by blue tooth using GPS positioning. The positioning can be a bit off at times, but I've fond that to be the case with all GPS systems.

So it has its own GPS rather than relying on the one in your phone and phone doesn’t need to be turned on.

So it has its own GPS rather than relying on the one in your phone and phone doesn’t need to be turned on.

This goes way above my understanding, but I asked the guys at Beeline and they said the phone did not have to be online. I've got an unlimited mb contract, so I didn't bother asking further.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This goes way above my understanding, but I asked the guys at Beeline and they said the phone did not have to be online. I've got an unlimited mb contract, so I didn't bother asking further.

Sounds like it needs to be in and paired then. That’s a shame as then means you’re limited by phone battery and phone in a pocket unlikely to have good gps signal. Online just means a data connection.

D

Deleted member 1258

Sounds like it needs to be in and paired then. That’s a shame as then means you’re limited by phone battery and phone in a pocket unlikely to have good gps signal. Online just means a data connection.

I don't know much about this new device, but I've used my phone to record rides using Ride With GPS and not had a problem with the GPS signal, that's with the phone in my saddle bag, phone battery will do a morning ride with plenty left, should be good for an all day ride, with this new device it all depends on how much extra the pairing takes out of the battery.

Hi people, theres a few items like this at the moment the the blubel, beeline and smarthalo but the most functional was the beeline, it does need to be connected to your phone but uses very little battery, it's waterproof and the maps are easy to edit when plotting a journey (adding way points etc). You can also import GPX files and upload to Strava but the best thing I've noticed is that it will direct you clearly turn by turn automatically choosing the quieter roads.
The other 2 simple navigation devices were just flashing lights and in the case of the bluebel...beeps too and the apps were a pain to use. I also wanted something I could easily move to another bike. I found the smarthalo a particular problem in this respect as it didn't fit all my bikes.

MyNameIsEarl

Got a Beeline Velo recently and it's been brilliant for solo rides (as I'm not doing club rides at the moment, due to COVID). I didn't want something that beeps at me all the time, just a guide. It integrates with Strava seamlessly, so I can download old group rides and use them. Then after the ride, I just upload to Strava - no faff.

£99 seems a lot for a fancy electric compass, but my sense of direction's so poor, that it's been worth it.

Top Bottom