Been given the green light for a new bike, looking for some opinions/advice/comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Wow Darren, a 40 mile commute, that's impressive. I hope your employer recognises your dedication and provides changing facilities

I can't advice on bike but I would suggest to channel part of your budget on quality winter clothing, lights etc.

My cycle is only a 15 mile round commute in comparison, but is challenging on a cold, dark, winter day in Scotland.

After 5 years and much money spent, I still haven't resolved the very cold feet, verging on painful problem. Good luck with your search

RE: Cold feet problem - have you tried some GOOD quality cycling boots - there are some Ive been tempted with I think Northwave are one of the brands Ive heard good things about: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-fahrenheit-gtx-gore-tex-winter-road-shoes/

Havent tried them myself but might solve your problem - if you already use them Id be interested to hear if they dont help your cold/wet problems!

Peteaud

Veteran
RE: Cold feet problem - have you tried some GOOD quality cycling boots - there are some Ive been tempted with I think Northwave are one of the brands Ive heard good things about: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-fahrenheit-gtx-gore-tex-winter-road-shoes/

Havent tried them myself but might solve your problem - if you already use them Id be interested to hear if they dont help your cold/wet problems!

Ive got them, fantastic bit of kit, but allow for thicker socks.

If you want you can then fit overshoes as well.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
So today I went to Evans Guildford to test out the three bikes I had ordered in.

Went first with the Arkose 2. As I have no experience with drop bars both STI shifters and the bar end found on the Arkose 2 were new to me. Straight away I found the bike comfortable, the bar end shifter was odd to begin with but I settled into fairly quickly. My route out of the shop went up a moderate hill and I found the lowest gear on the Arkose 2 to probably be low enough for anything I am used to cycling.

Later I got out on a long straight to get up into the highest gear. It was high enough for the test and probably for the majority of riding I do but there was a nagging thought that as my cycling becomes more regular and my fitness increases that the high gear may not be enough.

My biggest problem with the Arkose 2 was that I was really disappointed in the hydraulic brakes. It might have been a case that the brakes needed "bedding in" and perhaps my expectation was too high but I did not find them that impressive. They seemed to get better towards the end of my ride reinforcing the idea that they needed "bedding in" but I didn't find them particularly better than the BB7 on the Arkose 3 which I rode second.

The Arkose 3. Unsurprisingly I found the Arkose 3 comfortable and easy to ride, identical to the Arkose 2. Like the 2 I found the 3 fit me very well using the bars, hoods and the drops was comfortable. I found the BB7 brakes to be very impressive and identical to the Hydraulic brakes on the Arkose 2. I later rode a bike with cantilevers and the BB7 were so much better than the cantilevers. I found the STI levers to be a very elegant design to change gears, the 105 shifting was in general very slick and the comparison to my old mountain bike was like night and day. Gearing I found to be more than adequate at both the low end and high end. In all a very nice bike.

Many times when reading reviews of these bikes and similar bikes people mention the weight being on the heavier side. Being used to my Rockrider 5.0 which I think is probably in the region of 15kg I found all these bikes to be pretty light. Also found the bar tape to be frankly pretty crap when compared with my next bike the Cannondale.

My final bike was the Cannondale CCADX 105. I had ordered a 58cm size which was listed as "Suitable for heights: 175 to 183 cm, 69 to 72 inches" but it was clear that it was too big for me ( my height 180cm). I gave it a quick spin around the shop but it was too big.

Had a chat with they guy helping me out (Louis) and I tested a 2014 Cannondale CAADX sora. I knew that it was not really the bike that I had intended to ride but the frame appeared (at least from simply eyeballing it) to be very similar to the 58cm CAADX 105 2015. I found the Cannondale to be a bit of a mixed bunch really. I found the bike incredible smooth and comfortable when riding on the bars but the reach down to the hoods was just not right, I found myself need to lean out of the saddle and therefore found myself instinctually avoiding them.

So I have gone with the Arkose 3. Picking it up tomorrow and looking forward to a nice long ride home on it.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Collected the bike today but nearly didn't . Got to Evans Guildford at 11:00 and they were shut, all the staff outside. Turns out that someone tampered with the lock during the night setting off some sort of security bolt so the staff couldn't get in. Staff were very apologetic and had called head office to arrange for a locksmith. First locksmith didn't bother to turn up so in they end their head office went old school and called a local lock smith.

It only took him five minutes to get in. So I eventually got my bike at 15:00 some four hours later.

Had a good chat with the manager who offered to change the bar tape for free, I neglected to mention this in my earlier post but I am not keen on the bar tape on the Arkose, very little padding compared with the Cannondale I rode. SO they are going to put some of that on for me.

Rode back home some 37km this evening, took my a lot longer than i thought, I did get lost at one point and a lot of the route was brand new to me, so with that and the new bike I guess meant I was slower than I expected. Did have to stop on various occasions to check my route.

One thing I did note on the longer ride that i did not notice when test riding was that my left heel would occasionally strike the rear brake calliper. I am currently riding in my running shoes (which have a large heel) until pay day when I can buy some clip less shoes. But something to keep an eye on.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

For anyone interested I was asked on twitter what I thought of the bike and whether I had any photos so I took some. Someone might find them of use:

15259823907_9d1ae74601_c.jpg

15259818017_0a34734069_c.jpg

15446378445_9b02561ed5_c.jpg

15446374425_dd4415762e_c.jpg

15259598119_6d7c820eb0_c.jpg

15259823907_9d1ae74601_c.jpg
iframe>

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Not seen the Arkose bikes before but it looks quite stunning :becool: Some folk probably wont like the colour but I think it works well. Enjoy your new ride!

Yes, I was not overly keen on the colour but it is growing on me. Just need to change the bar tape as it is not particularly comfortable

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can see what you mean about the colour! I thought they changed the bar tape for you. The frame welds are not smooth as on the Cannondales but apart from that looks good.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Can see what you mean about the colour! I thought they changed the bar tape for you. The frame welds are not smooth as on the Cannondales but apart from that looks good.

They have agreed to change the bar tape when I take it back in 6 weeks time.

Tid13

Really liked the bike when I rode it, hate hatehate the colour which is one of the reasons I'm waiting to test ride the Norco Threshold A1 in a couple of weeks time.

Top Bottom