Been given the green light for a new bike, looking for some opinions/advice/comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Hello all

Next year I will have to cycle to work some 40 miles round journey. I have therefore been given the green light to buy a new bike. I am currently riding a BTwin Rockrider 5.0 that I bought from a local bike charity (I wrote about it here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/yet-another-what-bike-request.149086/).

Currently I ride for leisure/fitness a combination of road and offroad. I like to spend more time off road as I prefer to be away from vehicles. The offroad tends to be a mixture of disused railway lines (minus the tracks) and footpaths.

This has led me towards a Cyclocross style bike however I do not intend to race and I would prefer a gyometry leaning towrad more relaxed.

My wife who has given me the green light will be purchasing the bike for me on finance and I will be paying the monthly payments and I have limited myself to £40 per month. I appreciate that I might get better deals online but I want to buy a bike that I can test ride and walk out with so I have limited myself to Evans cycles.

I had narrowed down my choice of bike to the Pinacle Arkose 3

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-three-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec054866

It seems to fit my requirements and has a good group set for the price.

Now I have the green light I have been back on to the Evans website as whilst I had set my mind on the Arkose 3 from simply desk research I would prefer to have a couple of alternaives to ride as ultimately I will choose a bike that feels the best on a ride over a slightly better spec.

The Cannondale CAADX Tiagra fits within my budget:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caadx-tiagra-disc-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec071033

Slightly less spec being Tiagra and the gearing is a bit different but I can determine whether that is an issue for me when I test ride. Presumably I am paying more for the brand over the Arkose 3 and loosing a bit on the groupset?

Looking on the website today I see they have a few new 2015 models and this new Norco caught my eye:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a1-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec072587

Seems good spec?

So three bikes that I think I will soon book for a test ride with a view to purchsing next month (after the 15th, pay day!).

So what do people think? Are my 3 a good choice to pick from? Any flaws in my reasoning or my choices? Which bike would you pick, or would you suggest anything different?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

Darren

Tid13

I’m in about the same situation and test rode the Pinnacle Arkose 3 2015 and the Cannondale CAADX Tiagra earlier this week. I would be buying the CAADX 105 but it wasn’t available to test ride until 26/9/2014 so I rode the Tiagra version, which I think has the same brakes and frame etc etc as its big brother just with a view to getting a feel of it. They were both good bikes, but the main difference to me was that the Cannondale runs a 46/36 chainrings and the Pinnacle a more roadie 50/34 compact. When pootling about the Wimbledon backroads I went to change up and when nothing happened I thought I must be on the smallest cog at the rear and the small ring at the front, but it turned out I was in top both front and back, and I really didn’t have anywhere to go!
My riding is 50:50 as a time split between roads: parks/towpaths etc as I ride with my children on the latter, but 80:20 as a distance split as obviously I go faster riding roads with friends. Also there is no really nasty boggy steep off road climbing, so for me the more road oriented 50/34 chainrings on the Pinnacle were much better. I also preferred the Avid BB7 brakes on the Pinnacle than the brakes on the Cannondale (though whether the different 105 vs Tiagra shifters/brake levers made them feel better I don’t know, but I don’t think so)
I was therefore set on the Pinnacle (in spite of the disastrous colourscheme, I mean, I know it’s supposed to be “in” this year, but I’m going to own this bike for several years right, and lime green is disgusting!) and then like you I saw the Norco 2015s were on the website. These like the Cannondale are 46/36 chainrings, but so much better looking (and £50 cheaper for the Norco Threshold A1 than the Pinnacle and Cannondale) I was wondering if I could spend that £50 on changing the chainrings on the Norco to a road compact. I’m also not sure about the Norco Hayes cx comp brakes vs the BB7s on the Pinnacle? Of course the Norco isn’t due in until 30/10 according to Evans website, so I won’t be able to test ride until then.
If anybody else has any thoughts I’d be glad to hear them.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hello all

Next year I will have to cycle to work some 40 miles round journey. I have therefore been given the green light to buy a new bike. I am currently riding a BTwin Rockrider 5.0 that I bought from a local bike charity (I wrote about it here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/yet-another-what-bike-request.149086/).

Currently I ride for leisure/fitness a combination of road and offroad. I like to spend more time off road as I prefer to be away from vehicles. The offroad tends to be a mixture of disused railway lines (minus the tracks) and footpaths.

This has led me towards a Cyclocross style bike however I do not intend to race and I would prefer a gyometry leaning towrad more relaxed.

My wife who has given me the green light will be purchasing the bike for me on finance and I will be paying the monthly payments and I have limited myself to £40 per month. I appreciate that I might get better deals online but I want to buy a bike that I can test ride and walk out with so I have limited myself to Evans cycles.

I had narrowed down my choice of bike to the Pinacle Arkose 3

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-three-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec054866

It seems to fit my requirements and has a good group set for the price.

Now I have the green light I have been back on to the Evans website as whilst I had set my mind on the Arkose 3 from simply desk research I would prefer to have a couple of alternaives to ride as ultimately I will choose a bike that feels the best on a ride over a slightly better spec.

The Cannondale CAADX Tiagra fits within my budget:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caadx-tiagra-disc-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec071033

Slightly less spec being Tiagra and the gearing is a bit different but I can determine whether that is an issue for me when I test ride. Presumably I am paying more for the brand over the Arkose 3 and loosing a bit on the groupset?

Looking on the website today I see they have a few new 2015 models and this new Norco caught my eye:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a1-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec072587

Seems good spec?

So three bikes that I think I will soon book for a test ride with a view to purchsing next month (after the 15th, pay day!).

So what do people think? Are my 3 a good choice to pick from? Any flaws in my reasoning or my choices? Which bike would you pick, or would you suggest anything different?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts.

Darren

46/36 is a nicer combo for me (although I have just fitted a 34 for local hills) - the 50/34 is a really clunky gap.

It is unlikely that you will need a 50 at the front - I ride in The Lakes and it is rare for me to spin out on 46x12: most times before then I have decided I am going quick enough.

The 'dale is nice and there is nothing wrong with Tiagra.

The Norco looks good too - big brand in Canada. Hayes make decent brakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

@Tid13 Such a dilema hey ^_^

I did set my budget at £40 per month but the 105 Cannondale is only £1.31 per month more so I think that has now replaced the Tiagra version in my mind. What is a little annoying is that neither that or the Norco are available to ride yet, something I had not realised until you mentioned it. I might ride the Arkose 3 and the tiagra cannondale fairly soon just to get a feel of the bike from a frame point of view.

I might be completely wrong but with the CAADX 105 being 11 speed for 2015 does that not not give it a higher gear for travelling at pace over the tiagra that you rode.

Thanks for your comments

@SpokeyDokey Thanks for your comments. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with Tiagra but if I can get 105 within my budget I think that would be wise? I have heard good things about Norco from North America.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Respect for taking on a 20 mile each way commute.

Do you want to fit mudguards and a rack for carrying stuff?

If so, things like clearance and bosses on the frame will come in to play.

Lights can be clipped on and off, so no worries there.

Slight pity all the bikes on your shortlist have cable discs, because they do need some adjustment, unlike hydraulics which are all but maintenance free.

Might be wrong, but I think the cable discs are a nod to the UCI regulations for the sport.

Until the blazers join the 20th century, if not the 21st, I expect you will be stuck with cables as original equipment.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

@Pale Rider The commute will be hard but I have 12 months to build up to it. I am not to worried about mudguards but might well get a rack. I will most likely not have to worry about carrying too much gear.

My partner and I both work in the same office, she will be working 5 days a week but working 10-14:30 as our Son goes to school in September 2015, so anything heavy or bulky can go in the boot of our car that she will drive in.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

The planet x bikes look very good value for money but I live far to far away from their shops so cannot ride one.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

So I've booked the Arkose 3 2015, Arkose 2 2015 and the Cannondale CAADX 105 2015 for a test ride. Going to book the day off work so no missus or son to distract me.

Looking forward to seeing which (if any) I prefer. Can't deny that I'm a little bit excited.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Might be a silly question but...

cycle to work scheme available to you ??

if not, can you persuade your management to sign the company up to one of the schemes.

Tax & N.I avoidance would make the chosen bike a bit cheaper as a result.

I don't have any cyclo cross bike experience but I tend to go for names I trust & the occasional left field (but quality) brands.

So for me it would be a fight between the Dale & the Norco.

Best of British (inc Scots).

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

@SteCenturion Unfortunatly my company do not offer a cycle scheme although there have been various attemts to get the ball running. I work for a local authority and anything tages eons to get done.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Test ride day tomorrow. I've been told the bikes will be ready by 15:00 and they close at 18:00 so an hour per bike.

I've planned myself a reasonable route which will include some off road some hills and descents.

Still wondering about the planet x London road. I might be wrong but the geometry looks similar to the Arkose frame.

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@SteCenturion Unfortunatly my company do not offer a cycle scheme although there have been various attemts to get the ball running. I work for a local authority and anything tages eons to get done.
I work for my local authority also @Darren Gregory

fortunately in a department for public transport & they are at the forefront of cycle infrastructure having landed a very large chunk of the government's recent big spend on cycling.

It would be rude for them not to allow it's staff access to the scheme.

Wow Darren, a 40 mile commute, that's impressive. I hope your employer recognises your dedication and provides changing facilities

I can't advice on bike but I would suggest to channel part of your budget on quality winter clothing, lights etc.

My cycle is only a 15 mile round commute in comparison, but is challenging on a cold, dark, winter day in Scotland.

After 5 years and much money spent, I still haven't resolved the very cold feet, verging on painful problem. Good luck with your search

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

I work for my local authority also @Darren Gregory

fortunately in a department for public transport & they are at the forefront of cycle infrastructure having landed a very large chunk of the government's recent big spend on cycling.

It would be rude for them not to allow it's staff access to the scheme.

Yes mine is living in the dark ages. I used their "cycle loan" when I bought my used bike from the local charity. It was an absolute nightmare trying to get them to do that let alone anything as advanced as an official scheme. Sad really.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Wow Darren, a 40 mile commute, that's impressive. I hope your employer recognises your dedication and provides changing facilities

I can't advice on bike but I would suggest to channel part of your budget on quality winter clothing, lights etc.

My cycle is only a 15 mile round commute in comparison, but is challenging on a cold, dark, winter day in Scotland.

After 5 years and much money spent, I still haven't resolved the very cold feet, verging on painful problem. Good luck with your search

Thanks for the comments. I am pretty kitted out for lights but I am well aware that I will need to get some winter clothing. I generally don't feel the cold but I will need to look after my extremities as they do get cold!

Top Bottom