Been using Schwalbe Maration Supreme Eve but want Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Peel

Hi, I've covered just under 9000 km's through 12 countries on 700x50 Marathon Supreme Evo and I've like them, other than blowing 3 sidewalls.

I've had 2 sets of these tyres and only have one left. I'm returning to Vietnam in a few weeks to continue on, and was thinking about taking 2 more Evo's with me as they fold and can be tucked into my Ortlieb bag out of the way.

However, I'm not keen on keep blowing the sidewalls. I don't know whether it's me or the tyre, whether I'm over inflating the tire which pops it out of the rim, or this is a typical problem.

I have been told by others that they have had the same problem, but I rarely hear problems with Plus tires.

So I'm looking to take 2 Plus tires back with me but can't seem to find them in a wide size.

I weigh 138kg, bike 24kg, and my kit 40kg, so I require the thicker tires and I also like the way they look too. Where can I find Marathon Plus tires more than 700x40? Or do you have a better idea.

Cheers
Steve

DiDrLDLUYAAPPR5.jpg

So I'm looking to take 2 Plus tires back with me but can't seem to find them in a wide size.

I weigh 138kg, bike 24kg, and my kit 40kg, so I require the thicker tires and I also like the way they look too. Where can I find Marathon Plus tires more than 700x40? Or do you have a better idea.

Cheers
Steve

John,
I just had a quick look at the Schwalbe site and from what I can see, their tyres max out at 700 x 40.
However, looking at 28 inch there is a greater range. Not sure if 700 is interchangeable with 28?
Throw folding into the mix and it gets trickier.
But....
SJScycles have a Marathon Plus 700 x 45 on sale https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/700-x-25-25622-schwalbe-marathon-plus-hs440-tyre-700-622/
(Not folding, though)

I'd suggest contacting Schwalbe directly. Hopefully it'll be a "Rohloff" experience rather than a "Koga" experience ^_^

And.....
I just want to congratulate you for being the standard bearer for "Heavy" touring! ^_^

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

John,
And.....
I just want to congratulate you for being the standard bearer for "Heavy" touring! ^_^

The heaviest man to attempt to cycle the world. I'll be the standard bearer no problem, a little more weight won't hurt :smile:

I have just purchased 2 of those now from SJS. I'll give them a go and put my real last Supreme in my bag as a spare. The front one is now a cheap one as it was all I could find in the sticks of Thailand.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had 45mm or 1.75" Marathon Pluses on my last bike.

Did about 3,000 miles before selling the bike, although the tyres still looked new.

They will sit nicely on your bike, not too wide but still 'plenty of tyre'.

CXRAndy

Guru
You need a wider rim on the wheels . That is an awful lot of weight, so bigger tyres the better. You could go smaller and maybe a little quicker, but have a harsher ride due to increased pressures

28 is near as dammit 700c so wouldn't worry about that

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I had 45mm or 1.75" Marathon Pluses on my last bike.

Did about 3,000 miles before selling the bike, although the tyres still looked new.

They will sit nicely on your bike, not too wide but still 'plenty of tyre'.

50's have been great, they look great too, but the side walls are far too weak. I have a 35 on the front now but it's only a cheap one. I have had a number of punctures on the Supremes. I'm also now going coastal for a few thousand km's so sea shells shards and slippery surfaces require a little more tread and puncture resistance, so I've ordered the 700 x 45's to give them a go.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

You need a wider rim on the wheels . That is an awful lot of weight, so bigger tyres the better. You could go smaller and maybe a little quicker, but have a harsher ride due to increased pressures

28 is near as dammit 700c so wouldn't worry about that

Yes, a lot of weight and a lot of force going up and down hills. My rims are geared up for wide tyres and the 50's were great, but now on the coasts of Asia I need that bit more puncture protection and grip. It will be interesting to see how these go. 700 x 45 it is.

I've 26 inch wheels, which give me a lot of choice in tyre size.
I've gone from 1,5 to 1,75 to 2,0, purely for comfort reasons.
As far as I'm concerned, the bigger the better.
My current 2,0 are Mondials, before that Marathon Plus.
Interesting to note is that with the 1,75 and 2,0 I have had punctures very early in their use. However, both were very large chunks of glass that would have pierced anything. In both cases, booted the tyre with some spare inner tube and no issues. Other than that, no problems at all.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

I've 26 inch wheels, which give me a lot of choice in tyre size.
I've gone from 1,5 to 1,75 to 2,0, purely for comfort reasons.
As far as I'm concerned, the bigger the better.
My current 2,0 are Mondials, before that Marathon Plus.
Interesting to note is that with the 1,75 and 2,0 I have had punctures very early in their use. However, both were very large chunks of glass that would have pierced anything. In both cases, booted the tyre with some spare inner tube and no issues. Other than that, no problems at all.

My thoughts on the Supremes were that they were very smooth, so I figured that with less tread and higher pressures, nothing would get stuck in any tread, meaning less punctures. I have had 6 punctures in nearly 9000 km's but 3 blown side walls. Punctures I can live with, but not having to keep replacing the tyre half as much as I get punctures. I appreciate there is more tread on the Plus's, but the puncture resistance is said to be better, especially for face on things. A stronger side wall too should stop me worrying about over inflating.

My thoughts on the Supremes were that they were very smooth, so I figured that with less tread and higher pressures, nothing would get stuck in any tread, meaning less punctures. I have had 6 punctures in nearly 9000 km's but 3 blown side walls. Punctures I can live with, but not having to keep replacing the tyre half as much as I get punctures. I appreciate there is more tread on the Plus's, but the puncture resistance is said to be better, especially for face on things. A stronger side wall too should stop me worrying about over inflating.

Just be careful on over-inflating.
I've read on other forums of a possible connection between over-inflating tyres, (or at least running them at higher pressure than suitable for the conditions) and rims splitting!

Ripped sidewalls are bad. Split rims are tour ending! ^_^

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

Just be careful on over-inflating.
I've read on other forums of a possible connection between over-inflating tyres, (or at least running them at higher pressure than suitable for the conditions) and rims splitting!

Ripped sidewalls are bad. Split rims are tour ending! ^_^

That's true. I snapped a spoke on the rear but luckily have a few spares, and luckily have a Rohloff on the rear so it was easy to thread the new spoke. The rims (touch wood) have done a hell of a job over weeks of camino gravel and rocks, my weight of course, and all kinds of conditions through 12 countries, I'm hoping for much longer though :smile:

Bodhbh

Guru
If the problem is sidewall failure, have you considered just going for regular Marathons? The three tyres are compared here and the regualar Marathons have a similar sidewall to the Pluses, but weigh less and roll better. Going all the way from the smooth rolling Supremes to the Pluses might make you think sidewall failure is a price worth paying...plus they're available in 50mm.

OP
OP
John Peel

John Peel

If the problem is sidewall failure, have you considered just going for regular Marathons? The three tyres are compared here and the regualar Marathons have a similar sidewall to the Pluses, but weigh less and roll better. Going all the way from the smooth rolling Supremes to the Pluses might make you think sidewall failure is a price worth paying...plus they're available in 50mm.

After my 3rd sidewall loss, I purchased the only tyre I could get in a small rural town in Thailand. It has loads of tread and is only 700 x 32 instead of 700 x 50, and the shop insisted on installing it on the front. They pumped it ups to the point I could hardly depress it, it felt rock solid. I have been too scared to pump my Supremes up like that for fear of the sidewall issue.

The Plus's I have now are 700 x 45

I have to admit to feeling no problem for another 1000 km's, and in fact I actually felt like I was a little faster. Maybe the width was the bonus, or maybe the firmer pressure, I don't know.

My Marathon Plus's arrived yesterday, so no I need a bigger suitcase :smile: as of course they don't fold like Supremes. There is also a real difference in weight, so until I get them on the bike I won't really know, but they do feel much less flimsy and less thin, especially on the sidewalls. Here's hoping, but at least now I am cycling in more populated and modern areas such as Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok.

minininjarob

I think you’ll be better on the standard Marathons. It’s a testament to how good the Supremes are that they held up so well for you - lots of weight and varied surfaces - but I don’t thjnk they were ever designed to be where you have taken them!

Top Bottom