Beeping advice for motorists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
There's no need to misinterpret a generic "you" as a specific one. ;)

sorry bent, please accept.

I was extremely naughty on one occasion.

Near Haslar Hospital is a light controlled bridge, but it is narrow. I am in the primary riding position when a numpty starts tooting his horn.

I slowed down, and loked behind to see a middle aged man in a 4x4 pointing at me I assume that there is a problem with the bike (what other reason could there be?)

So I dismount, check panniers etc, and shrug when I find nothing wrong.

By now I am asked to "get out of his way.

Dllighted to do so as the lights have changed and he is now facing a line of 6 vehicles coming over the brow of the bridge, he has to reverseall the way down to the lights again, some twenty yards.

Sorted!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cunobelin said:

Dllighted to do so as the lights have changed and he is now facing a line of 6 vehicles coming over the brow of the bridge, he has to reverseall the way down to the lights again, some twenty yards.

Class.....;):biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cunobelin said:

Near Haslar Hospital is a light controlled bridge, but it is narrow. I am in the primary riding position when a numpty starts tooting his horn.

I slowed down, and loked behind to see a middle aged man in a 4x4 pointing at me I assume that there is a problem with the bike (what other reason could there be?)

So I dismount, check panniers etc, and shrug when I find nothing wrong.

Sorted!

Nice!;)

Whoops!! Almost came round to cabs way of thinking (just stopped myself in time but ...).

Out for a ride and reached a short section of road with a chicane at either end and the sign with 2 arrows - thick for priority, thin for give way. Priority was with me so pedalled on as normal. Approx 100m in to a 200m section the vehicle behind beeped me. I stopped, propped bike in centre of road and asked the driver which part of "single lane" they were struggling with. Apparently young 'arabella' or some which was late for school. I pointed out that she was getting later by the minute. She didn't seem too pleased with "my attitude" so I smiled niceley and gave her Cabs contact details.

Only the very part of the last sentence is an embelishment.

Must point out that I normally make an effort to miss the school run times.

Arch

Married to Night Train
John Ponting said:
Whoops!! Almost came round to cabs way of thinking (just stopped myself in time but ...).

Out for a ride and reached a short section of road with a chicane at either end and the sign with 2 arrows - thick for priority, thin for give way. Priority was with me so pedalled on as normal. Approx 100m in to a 200m section the vehicle behind beeped me. I stopped, propped bike in centre of road and asked the driver which part of "single lane" they were struggling with. Apparently young 'arabella' or some which was late for school. I pointed out that she was getting later by the minute. She didn't seem too pleased with "my attitude" so I smiled niceley and gave her Cabs contact details.

Must point out that I normally make an effort to miss the school run times.

Hee hee. I'd have suggested young arabella should have left earlier and walked... And then ridden on REALLY slowly...;)

snorri

Legendary Member
More worrying than a hoot from behind, is to see an oncoming vehicle steer in towards the verge in order to "invite" the car following the cyclist to overtake the cyclist when there is clearly insufficient space available.;)xx(

Arch, I have to be fair to "arabella or wot ever" and say that the school is in a strange location. Too small to be a hamlet but serving a widespread wooded residential area of £1million+ houses and 6 ex farm workers cottages. The Mums are too posh to push, let alone walk. Probably the Au Pair driving the brat to school anyway.

damnation, serves me right - just noticed that the fairy has blessed my back wheel. Good job I'm not at work this week.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

John Ponting said:

Sounds like a fairly typical commuting tale to me. You're cycling correctly, motorist beeps you because you're not willing to take a risk and let them pass where there isn't safe room to do so.

The sad truth is that a hell of a lot of cyclists are willing to accept dangeorusly close overtaking, giving the impression to motorists that this is how things are meant to be.

jonesy

Guru
Cab said:
The sad truth is that a hell of a lot of cyclists are willing to accept dangeorusly close overtaking, giving the impression to motorists that this is how things are meant to be.

And the even sadder truth is that a lot of the cycling 'infrastructure' that has been put in in recent years encourages the belief that cyclists belong in the gutter and can be passed with less than 0.5m space.:sad:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
The impatient follower is not limited to cars behind bikes. Last Thursday saw me trundling up the A1 (yes ok in a car (........hangs head in shame:blush:)) at 70 mph. Came to road works signed 50mph and slowed gradually with lorry some distance behind. Lorry keeps a troshin at speed up to within a few feet of my rear and blasts his horn and flashes his lights. Eventually overtakes me still blasting his horn and still in the 50 per limit. Strange psychotic behaviour in someone entrusted with 40 tonnes. Still, hope he picked up a ticket on the average speed cameras.

Top Bottom