Beer o'clock!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My place of work - where I haven't been for 3 months - closes at 5.15 so that's when GtiJunior and I crack open a bottle of Badger beer. It's amazing how much rosier the world looks after a pint of bitter, it's the culmination of a day that starts in depression and gradually lightens as it wears on. I know you shouldn't use alcohol but it's for a limited time only and it's only a pint and a half.

What's your tipple?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love bottled ales. Cant abide canned booze. Love a Badger too, though my current favourites are the various Hobgoblins.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
a day that starts in depression and gradually lightens as it wears on
Dean Martin said he felt sorry for teetotallers 'because when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.'

(He also said if you can lie down without holding on you're not really drunk.)

I miss my daily pint, but red wine's not a bad stand in.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Beer o'clock doesn't arrive here until 8pm but it tends to be a daily event. I tend to do a lot of ''craft beer'' drinking. Current beers in the fridge are Brew by Numbers, Villages (they're a Deptford brewery) and Siren.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I haven’t had a “drink” since Xmas eve:ohmy:
The longest I’ve gone without since 1984.
I have been drinking Brewdog Punk AF,Brewdog Nanny State and Brewdog Hazy Jane AF.To be fair they’re not bad for Alcohol free
:okay:

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I haven't had any beer since February, but I used to love real ales. Lidl used to sell Butcombe original (quite a funny name), it is 4% so nice and light but a very smooth flavour. My partner's favourite was Adnam's Ghost Ship, but I think it tastes like cloves (I only like cloves in ham). Round here in Devon, Proper Job is very popular, as is Jail Ale. Also Cornish ones are popular such as Tibute and Doombar (both of which I like).

I had a couple of really nice bitters in the Lake District last year - Esthwaite Bitter and something else that I really liked.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My very, very local brewery (less than 1/2 mile away) has started canning their beers, their usual distribution system (tap room) having been put out of action. Normally I'm not a fan of cans and would rather have my beer out of bottles, but this stuff is good. The only problem is that they have an attention span of a puppy and spend most of their time thinking up new formulas and names. So if you had one in your last selection case that you loved, don't hold out any hope that they will ever brew it again.

I always used to enjoy a couple of cold San Miguels as a post ride recovery drink, but I’ve recently moved over to Adnams Ghost Ship.

I prefer it drunk directly from the bottle, which is unusual for me as I generally prefer drinking beer from a stemmed glass.

Had a delivery direct from the Adnams brewery yesterday.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My very, very local brewery (less than 1/2 mile away) has started canning their beers, their usual distribution system (tap room) having been put out of action. Normally I'm not a fan of cans and would rather have my beer out of bottles, but this stuff is good. The only problem is that they have an attention span of a puppy and spend most of their time thinking up new formulas and names. So if you had one in your last selection case that you loved, don't hold out any hope that they will ever brew it again.
Usually the brewer will have a core range and if they're good you can add some of the seasonals to the shopping list along with the regulars. But it's frustrating when an excellent beer is a one off. This often seems to be the case when it's a collaboration. I'm still holding on to a gooseberry sour that Track did with the Danish Broaden and Build early this winter. The trouble is I've no idea how well it will have kept.

GetFatty

Über Member
Recently cut down after going a bit mad for the first few weeks of lockdown. I have varied tastes but tend to fall back on Heineken which is nice when the weather is warm. Have a soft spot for Fullers Golden Pride among others with a liking for German beers too. My local micropub is delivering a variety of ales that I also take part in occasionally

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Usually the brewer will have a core range and if they're good you can add some of the seasonals to the shopping list along with the regulars. But it's frustrating when an excellent beer is a one off. This often seems to be the case when it's a collaboration. I'm still holding on to a gooseberry sour that Track did with the Danish Broaden and Build early this winter. The trouble is I've no idea how well it will have kept.

On the positive side, delivery times from order are down to about 4 hours. I've been in bars with longer queuing times than this.

I was (when living in Essex) a huge real ale fan. Used to go to the Camra festivals whenever they were local, and the excellent Stock Beer Festival every summer.

Living in Norway only expensive crap lager is available, so these days I'm virtually teetotal, but when back home I visit as many of my old locals as possible and get to grips with old friends, such as Greene King IPA and Abbot, Doombar, Ghost Ship, Tetleys, Boddingtons, Shepherd Neame and even my home town's micro brewery, Brentwood Brewing Co.

Of course, there are many more ales on my list but I'd get too nostalgic going down memory lane and NOT being able to wet my whistle.

Top Bottom