Beer Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jon

Does anyone know where I can buy a firkin of bitter in London ?

Going on a trip with some friends, and thought it might be a fun present to give to the group !

Cheers
Jon

mosschops2

Couldn't find one on Google Product (still prefer Froogle btw).....

A quarter of a barrel..... (I gather from Wiki....) will you not be needing some pumping stuff to, well, pump it out?

MsMalfoy

Barrels of beer aren't generally the sort of thing that takes kindly to going on 'trips'.

Not proper beer anyway.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mosschops2 said:
Couldn't find one on Google Product (still prefer Froogle btw).....

A quarter of a barrel..... (I gather from Wiki....) will you not be needing some pumping stuff to, well, pump it out?

No, not if it's just one with a tap on - gravity does the job. You just have to leave it time to settle once it gets to the destination, like bottle conditioned beer, there'll be a residue.

Jon - If you have trouble finding a firkin, try googling 'Polypin', I think that's the trade name for a plastic firkin...

Have you trid contacting local breweries like Fullers to see if they do sales of stuff like that? I know many small local breweries (York, Winchcombe) do off sales like that... Or a decent wine and beer shop? The York one sells 4-pint carry out flagons - not quite the same but...

OP
OP
J

jon

Thanks Arch - yes, it seems that the polypin is the way forward !

Lots more breweries who deliver came up on that search ... now the joyful part of deciding which one to order ... mmm

jon said:
Does anyone know where I can buy a firkin of bitter in London ?

Going on a trip with some friends, and thought it might be a fun present to give to the group !

Cheers
Jon

You've probaly got the info you require, but there might be something here to help you.

http://www.camra.org.uk/

It brings back a few memories for me from the 80s. Fortunately not the hangovers. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Many of the breweries have shops on site that seel ale by the polypin. Fullers will deliver as well if you want.

stevech

You'll need to decide whether you want it 'bright' (or racked, i.e., free of sediment), in which case it will be drinkable immediately after travelling but won't stay good for more than 2-3 days; or on sediment (unracked), in which case it will need 12-24 hours to settle after travelling but will last much longer (over a week if in a cool place and not disturbed).

Most suppliers of polypins (20 litres) or minipins (10 litres) fill them with bright beer so that the consumer has nothing to worry about.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All very well but FULLERS?

*retch*

Mind you, it won't taste much better than in most London pubs... warm, sticky, cloudy with a yellow head.

Keith Oates

Janner
For me it's close to knocking off time and being Friday, coupled with reading this posting, you'll get no prizes for knowing what's going through my mind right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rigid Raider said:
All very well but FULLERS?

*retch*

Mind you, it won't taste much better than in most London pubs... warm, sticky, cloudy with a yellow head.

Must say, I don't mind bottles of Fullers London Porter from Sainsburys. But, I get most of my beer from Woodfordes in Norfolk.

Norfolk Nog's a cracker, but I suppose not really a London Beer!

Top Bottom