Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
View attachment 534180

Sampling a plum and ginger cider tonight. Very nice it is too :smile:
I can imagine those flavours going well together. There was a time when you'd have got booted off this thread for a post about cider but I slipped in a post about mead more recently and nobody sent me off to the ''Mead?'' thread.

I'm currently sipping my 2nd Northern Monk IPA, the first was a Quarantini IPA and now it's a Safehouse IPA.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There was a time when you'd have got booted off this thread for a post about cider

Nothing wrong with cider, so long as you steer clear of the gassy industrial chemical stuff like Strongbow. I got my hands on some Gwatkins last year that had red berries in the mix and it was absolutely lovely - and I'm not even a big fan of fruit flavoured beers as a rule. This stuff was just too drinkable to leave alone though, which wasn't good because I had to ride a bike afterwards.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
What's the oldest but still drinkable beer you have consumed? I've just finished a bottle of Proper Job that I found in my overspill beer crate in the back bedroom. Normally I try to drink the oldest beers in stock so they don't get out of date, but somehow this and a couple of other PJ's got missed. It's best by date was November 2015! :eek:
Not one to be easily deterred, I decided to drink it anyway. When opened, it was extremely gassy, the equal of a any keg lager, and even though poured very slowly it had a head like an ice cream cone. I left the last half an inch in the bottle as there was a lot of solids in it. I was bracing myself, expecting it to be foul - but surprisingly it was still drinkable. Not the best Proper Job I've ever tasted by a long way, but it wasn't actually bad at all, which considering it was brewed in 2014 is a good result! The hop flavour was noticeably attenuated, much less prominent than normal. I bet the alcohol content was well above the official 5%, if the amount of gas is anything to go by. Clearly quite a bit of secondary fermentation took place during the last six years.!

I've tasted some 20 year old geuze which was very drinkable and I have a bottle at home which is 10 ten years old. A decent geuze should last a few decades.

I've got a beer I brewed 3 years ago which is sitting in a fermenter in my bedroom waiting to be bottled.

stephec

Legendary Member
What's the oldest but still drinkable beer you have consumed? I've just finished a bottle of Proper Job that I found in my overspill beer crate in the back bedroom. Normally I try to drink the oldest beers in stock so they don't get out of date, but somehow this and a couple of other PJ's got missed. It's best by date was November 2015! :eek:
Not one to be easily deterred, I decided to drink it anyway. When opened, it was extremely gassy, the equal of a any keg lager, and even though poured very slowly it had a head like an ice cream cone. I left the last half an inch in the bottle as there was a lot of solids in it. I was bracing myself, expecting it to be foul - but surprisingly it was still drinkable. Not the best Proper Job I've ever tasted by a long way, but it wasn't actually bad at all, which considering it was brewed in 2014 is a good result! The hop flavour was noticeably attenuated, much less prominent than normal. I bet the alcohol content was well above the official 5%, if the amount of gas is anything to go by. Clearly quite a bit of secondary fermentation took place during the last six years.!
I bet you didn't venture too far from a toilet?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I bet you didn't venture too far from a toilet?

Funnily enough, I suffered no adverse reaction at all afterwards in the lavatorial department. I suspect the outcome might have been different though if I'd drunk the last mouthful in the bottle that was full of sediment. It was even murkier than the dregs of a bottle of Worthingtons White Shield, a beer laxative par excellence.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Siren have been playing around with their award-winning Broken Dream. I missed their first variation but got

an order in on time for the 2nd. Twisted Breakfast Stout. Rum and maple wood. I'm glad I got a few in!

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I hope it's got a high OG - otherwise I wouldn't have thought it would keep very well!

I guess it's around 6 or 7%. Mind you, it's not just the ABV. Geuze is only 5% and will keep for a very long time, but it's mashed with a big slug of unmalted wheat to produce a lot of dextrins in the wort.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Were getting some super beer from the UK in Belgium right now. Not sure what a Pavement Licker is, bit this is Pavement Licker from Verdant. No one in Belgium can do beer like this and this one was canned only three weeks ago. Not cheap.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Were getting some super beer from the UK in Belgium right now. Not sure what a Pavement Licker is, bit this is Pavement Licker from Verdant. No one in Belgium can do beer like this and this one was canned only three weeks ago. Not cheap.

View attachment 534673
Verdant beers are pretty hard to find but they've done a few excellent ones, the rest are merely pretty good.

Landsurfer

Veteran
It's got to be Adnams Broadside .... on draft ...
I had an email conversation with their head brewer about the considerable difference between the tastes and flavours of the draft and bottled Broadside ....
" Their completely different beers" ..was the bottom line .....
He pointed out that you cannot bottle a draft beer ... it won't keep, so the bottled version of any draft will always be an essentially different taste..
What a nice chap ....

Top Bottom