Before & after photos (non-weightloss edition)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
With all due thanks to raleighnut...
bannisters.jpg

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
photo (1).JPG
photo (2).JPG

Octet

Veteran
The cassette is always the hardest bit to get shiny, does anyone have any tips?

A good scrub in methylated spirit does wonders, either use a strong bristled brush (I use a nail brush although an old tooth brush would also work) and get to work. Depending on how dirty it is, submerging it in methylated spirit for a couple of hours might be in order. There's no need to throw it away after, just bottle it or stick it in a jam jar and then re-use it next time (after a while you might need to sieve it but other then that it's fine to keep).

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
[QUOTE 3088590, member: 9609"]I once cleaned my chain in petrol, just like yours it came up beautifully clean, could never lube it properly after that, would go dry and grindy after about 30 miles, had to bin it.

how do you lube yours up after a clean like that?[/QUOTE]

I was planning to just keep on with the weekly Mickle and hope for the best :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3088590, member: 9609"]I once cleaned my chain in petrol, just like yours it came up beautifully clean, could never lube it properly after that, would go dry and grindy after about 30 miles, had to bin it.

how do you lube yours up after a clean like that?[/QUOTE]
Never clean a chain in petrol or anything else - it strips out the special factory-fitted lubes that protect the internal workings for the lifetime of the chain. Clean the outside, but never immerse in anything. At least, that's what I was told.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Never clean a chain in petrol or anything else - it strips out the special factory-fitted lubes that protect the internal workings for the lifetime of the chain. Clean the outside, but never immerse in anything. At least, that's what I was told.

Ah rats!

Octet

Veteran

[QUOTE 3088590, member: 9609"]I once cleaned my chain in petrol, just like yours it came up beautifully clean, could never lube it properly after that, would go dry and grindy after about 30 miles, had to bin it.[/QUOTE]

I can't say I've ever had any problems, not sure about petrol but I know that methylated spirit will leave no residue behind which means it shouldn't have any effect on any new lubricant you add.

thetribe

Über Member
My back garden. It got away from us way back, these are from 2005.
Before
2114647163_d425d755d5.jpg My Back Garden - August 2005 by thetribe007, on Flickr

After
2114657919_13e2a4fe57.jpg My Back Garden - August 2005 by thetribe007, on Flickr

All work done by us, me and my father-in-law doing the majority of it but the whole family, kids included, put their backs into it.

Then in 2008 my better half wanted another change, we added a pond and waterfall (behind the wall in this pic) and it now still looks like this, but with more plants and a tree or two
2467269163_a211b71818.jpg First Coat Of Paint by thetribe007, on Flickr

Octet

Veteran
My back garden. It got away from us way back, these are from 2005.
Before
2114647163_d425d755d5.jpg My Back Garden - August 2005 by thetribe007, on Flickr

After
2114657919_13e2a4fe57.jpg My Back Garden - August 2005 by thetribe007, on Flickr

All work done by us, me and my father-in-law doing the majority of it but the whole family, kids included, put their backs into it.

Then in 2008 my better half wanted another change, we added a pond and waterfall (behind the wall in this pic) and it now still looks like this, but with more plants and a tree or two
2467269163_a211b71818.jpg First Coat Of Paint by thetribe007, on Flickr

WOW! What an amazing transformation. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom