Before and After...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MePower

Hi? Feels great being ignored! If you havnt done 1000+ posts means you cant be an expert, even if you have biked for 20+ years in every type of competition. But hey, dont worry yourself, i`m glad to help even if you cant be arsed to respond cos im not "popular" on this forum. Feel much better now thanks! :evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MePower......some of us have met the JTM, we know what's the score - he has a busy life.....so don't expect a reply.... I've seen his commuter bike... and this new one looks a belter, so what's the hang up about a little spoke rattle.........

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mepower, thanks for the tip.

I genuinely didn't see it pop up in the new posts (I tend to be on earlier in the day - 5am starts on workdays'll do that for you, as will having a queue of wheels to build and bikes to fettle of an evening:smile: ) and I'd not subscribed to this thread. I guess I didn't see your post on the 10th because the time coincides neatly with (I think) our end users at work hassling me about a server problem (actually their sh*tty code and refusal to manage demand on the system, but there's a tale for another day). It's not an intentional snub, honestly!

Interesting that the braze ons are sized for 26" spokes, and probably explains why they are slightly loose on my 700c trucker (spokes I carry are 2x 290mm, 1x 292mm, for rear drive and non-drive/front). The spoke nipples on the spares are about as tight as I dare make them (I may want to take them off again, after all, the wheels on this bike are my first homebuilt set!) Or do you mean change the angle of the spoke nipple in the carrier? Now I'm intrigued...

MePower

Sorry about the rant JtM, everyone, had a terrible day yesterday, but hey, thats my concern, so shouldnt have gone off on one. No offence intended.
The spoke nipples are simply taken off, turned around, and the spoke rethreaded through the fatter end of the nipple. Like so...

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
MePower said:
The spoke nipples are simply taken off, turned around, and the spoke rethreaded through the fatter end of the nipple. Like so...

Ah! Now that is so simple, and makes so much sense, that it's no wonder *I* didn't think of it at all! Nice one, that would have taken ages to occur to me, if it ever did!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MePower said:
Sorry about the rant JtM, everyone, had a terrible day yesterday, but hey, thats my concern, so shouldnt have gone off on one. No offence intended.

Blooming good tip there..........xx(

Sorry to have a go.... but, there in lies a good tip...excellent.

MePower

My pleasure!

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks Arch.

The latest bike update is the addition of a (2nd hand) Brooks B17 Champion Standard;

3970837585_780f8603a9.jpg

It's a bit scraped up, but cost about the same as buying an Bagman QR, or SQR system for my Carradice bag. Weight is similar to the Arione + saddle loop block/Bagman &c &c. And the Carradice works *so* much better with a bag with proper saddle loops;

3970837661_915e9f488d.jpg

Time will tell whether I have a Brooks bottom or not, I guess. I'm still futzing with the angle of the saddle at the moment to get it where I don't keep sliding out of the position I like to sit in. The tension adjustment is proving to be interesting too....

Top Bottom