Before, During and After

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
Just wondering what you guys eat/ drink before during and after a sesh in the saddle? I suppose it depends on length of journey etc but any info would be greatly apprecieated.

it's getting to the point now each time i go out, after about 20, 25 miles sugar levels hit rock bottom. I can get these at any given time of the day just sitting at my desk in work etc, i've had blood tests and nothing has been detected. To combat it I end up eating 2 or 3 snickers bars and if available a bottle of fanta. Obviously this is no good. I try and pre-empt by eating a flap-jack or an energy gel but doesnt seem to help.

Please help Dr CycleChat! xx(

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
cake, cake and then cake.

Norm

Flapjack is good, I don't like energy gels and they can be a bit caffeine-filled one-hit wonders which are over in a few minutes (depending on the gel, of course) but I have issues with dehydration rather than energy.

I carry a 750ml Sigg water bottle on the bike and carry a small tube of the High5 Zero soluble electrolyte tablets as you can find taps or bottled water almost anywhere and half a tablet in 750ml will keep me going for an hour or so.

A banana or a small pack of dried figs is good, although other fruits will also help as many others contain fructose which is a slow-release form of sugar than glucose, although there are some who don't feel it gives that much benefit and some people are fructose intolerant, so don't have too much as 25 miles from home is not a good time to find out that apples give you diarrhoea!

I prefer Mars Bars to Snickers but I prefer a good cake to either. :giggle:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I normally scoff a banana and maybe a slice of toast with Jam before going out. Sometime take another nana with me, but often a flapjack bar and one or two gels. Drink wise my two bottles (500ml each) usually have high5 (I actually love the taste of the berry one). Post ride, then it's a big glass of milk followed by a main meal (usually lunch as my long rides are always early) with my family.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I use powerbar gels. They're just highly concentrated fruit juices. I also like granola bars on anything 3 hours+ as I like something solid in my stomach. Carb drinks as well sometimes.

Knowing your threshold is really useful. Mine is about 1hr 45 mins.

OP
OP
frayBentos59

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
i'd like to thank everyone for their useful posts, there's some good options I can have a tinker with, bit of trial and error and see what comes of the various food and drink options :thumbsup:

Gav, if there was an option 'I love this post' then i'd hit it, unfortunately you'll have to make do with a simple 'like' im afraid ^_^

User269

Just wondering what you guys eat/ drink before during and after a sesh in the saddle? I suppose it depends on length of journey etc but any info would be greatly apprecieated.

it's getting to the point now each time i go out, after about 20, 25 miles sugar levels hit rock bottom. I can get these at any given time of the day just sitting at my desk in work etc, i've had blood tests and nothing has been detected. To combat it I end up eating 2 or 3 snickers bars and if available a bottle of fanta. Obviously this is no good. I try and pre-empt by eating a flap-jack or an energy gel but doesnt seem to help.

Please help Dr CycleChat! xx(
You've had blood tests, did they include fasting blood sugar and thyroid function? If it wasn't for the fact that you possibly have some issue with hypoglaecemia even when sitting at your desk, my suggestion would have been that when doing a ride of an hour or more you need to start refueling 10 mins after you start, and keep topping up thereafter. Avoid simple sugars, as these can cause a 'rebound effect' when you produce more insulin as a result of the increase in blood sugar, and subsequently your blood sugar goes right down.

Top Tip; Best recovery drink - Famous Grouse.

During the ride:

Fig Rolls
Soreen Fruit Malt Loaf
Bananas
Tea Buns, with butter & jam or Philadelphia & jam.

Water. Lots of water. Just water to hydrate.

(If you really object to water, mix maybe 20% fruit juice into your water. The sport food and sport rehydration industries are there to fleece you, not feed you or improve your performance. If you're not an elite athlete who gets it free with the pay cheque, don't bother with that gunk and goo).

After the ride:

Maybe a fillet of sole in a nice, light sauce with steamed vegetables and boiled potatoes. This wants a young, not-too-strongly-flavoured white.

Maybe a nice medium-rare steak with potato wedges and a rocket salad. Maybe pop some cherry tomatoes and asparagas onto the baking tray with the steak. Lashings of mustard. This wants a claret or a nice Rioja or a Montenegrin red.

After a brief pause, follow either of the above with Bread & Butter Pudding, custard and a good vanilla ice-cream. Maybe a nice Montbazillac to wash that down.

A nice Armagnac to finish, preferably as you gave over a beautiful landscape.

On reflection.... the above menu suggestions are not for after a ride... they're instead of a ride.

Reactions: GBC

Judderz

Depends how long my ride is:

Before:
20miles and under: Energy drink and banana 30mins before
Above 20 miles: 6 Scotch pancakes (the small ones about 2 & 1/2" round) with nutella and honey on and an energy drink.

During:
Under 20miles: Just an energy drink
Above 20miles: A banana and energy drink

After:
Any distance: An electrolyte drink, (High 5 Zero electrolyte tablets)

My energy drink I make myself (whey protein, glucose, fruit squash)

Never bonk, always feel great after :smile:

Rob500

Before: A glass or two of water. Bowl of cereal: Weetabix or Cheerios. Tea. (hang about a bit then go to the loo).

During: A handful of jelly sweets (wine gums / jelly babies) in my pocket which I 'use' on the go. If Cafe-Stop then Tea & cake. If a non Cafe-Stop Stop then a peanut butter & jam sandwich and chocolate bar/biscuit. 750ml bottle of tap water.

After: Usually I need to wind down before eating. Routine is - water heater turned on - stretch out those warmed up muscles - shower - relax - make food. I'll eat anything.

I think you'll find that it can vary a lot from one individual to another so what's good for one person might not be good for another.

Me, I don't tend to eat anything other than normal meals pre-ride. For a ride of 2hours/40miles I'd just take some water with me. Today I did 86miles on porridge for breakfast and took with me 750ml of water, 750ml of water with some freebie Highfive thing in it, and a plain chocolate Bounty Bar. I had a Sunday roast when I got back.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
:Not really food related:

But before you go on a ride, always make sure you go to the loo. You dont want to be bursting and looking for a place to go when you are tired.
This, as well as the cycling postition, puts pressure on your bladder and internal organs which can cause you pain. You will not feel good when you stop.

I always make sure I have atleast had a wee, and if I feel slightly in the need of a poo, then I will make sure I am as empty as possible. (Crouching or sitting on your knees and putting pressure on your stomache will speed up the process of needing the loo).

Top Bottom