Beginner cyclist what cycle to buy?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tilly, 24 Jul 2012.

1. tilly

tilly Member

Ok so I have just started out cylcing currently on a mountain bike which is not the best! I am wanting to buy a road bike, I am looking at Carrera virtuoso from halfords for £349 I will be covering round about 60-70km per week, is this a good bike for me to start out on? Any advice will be great. I am new to all this I have come from running to cylcing..

2. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

Excellent value for money, well equipped, and as good for a beginner as you're likely to get. See also Decathlon's Triban 3 for a comparator at the same pricepoint.

3. OP
    OP
    tilly

tilly Member

Oh thank you, I'll check it out.

4. sidevalve

sidevalve Über Member

Both good. I've had the virtuoso and it was a fine machine for the price but lots of others recomend the triban.
    One thing, if you look around you can get "last years" virtuoso even cheaper. Mine was the 16 speed model and I found I never needed any more.

5. Sandra6

Sandra6 Veteran

Have you seen the carrera tdf? It's on offer at the moment for just shy of £300. It's yellow - does that help?!

6. OP
    OP
    tilly

tilly Member

Yes I have seen that, it's between a triban, C virtuoso and C tdf what's the difference except price between them all?

7. OP
    OP
    tilly

tilly Member

8. musa

musa Über Member

T3 is VFM and its red :hyper:
    a lot of good talk of the T3 can't go wrong there?

9. OP
    OP
    tilly

tilly Member

Yep, but what is the difference between them all? Maybe I'll pay a visit to the local halfords and see if they can order the T3 in!

10. Stonepark

Stonepark Senior Member

triban 3 is decathlon

11. OP
    OP
    tilly

tilly Member

Ahh ok so which would be best for someone like myself just wanting if for road cylcing?

12. Andrius.B

Andrius.B Active Member

OK, both Carrera TDF and Triban 3 are great for the price. You can't go wrong with any of them. However, I personally would still get the triban 3 as it is a bit lighter (like 1.5 pounds difference), has carbon forks, and comes in red.

13. MJC

MJC Regular

If you're considering a Triban 3 it might be worth getting a copy of this month's Cycling Active - they've reviewed it and they love it!

14. stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke Senior Member

triban 3 looks 100 times better than it does in the pictures you see online

15. OP
    OP
    tilly

tilly Member

I am not bothered about the looks just the ride and comfort...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice