Beginner cyclist what cycle to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tilly

Ok so I have just started out cylcing currently on a mountain bike which is not the best! I am wanting to buy a road bike, I am looking at Carrera virtuoso from halfords for £349 I will be covering round about 60-70km per week, is this a good bike for me to start out on? Any advice will be great. I am new to all this I have come from running to cylcing..

Cubist

Still wavin'
Excellent value for money, well equipped, and as good for a beginner as you're likely to get. See also Decathlon's Triban 3 for a comparator at the same pricepoint.

sidevalve

Über Member
Both good. I've had the virtuoso and it was a fine machine for the price but lots of others recomend the triban.
One thing, if you look around you can get "last years" virtuoso even cheaper. Mine was the 16 speed model and I found I never needed any more.

Sandra6

Veteran
Have you seen the carrera tdf? It's on offer at the moment for just shy of £300. It's yellow - does that help?!

OP
OP
T

tilly

Yep, but what is the difference between them all? Maybe I'll pay a visit to the local halfords and see if they can order the T3 in!

Andrius.B

OK, both Carrera TDF and Triban 3 are great for the price. You can't go wrong with any of them. However, I personally would still get the triban 3 as it is a bit lighter (like 1.5 pounds difference), has carbon forks, and comes in red.

MJC

Regular
If you're considering a Triban 3 it might be worth getting a copy of this month's Cycling Active - they've reviewed it and they love it!

Top Bottom