Beginner cyclist what cycle to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

54 - 56 if im not mistaken

stephen.rooke

depending on how much you want to spend clipless pedals and shoes might be something you want to consider. dont know how i managed without mine

vickster

Legendary Member
Of course, all geometries differ but I am female, about 5'10, 33" inside leg, fairly long arms and my road bike is a 54.5cm...depending on limb length, a 54cm probably better - always better to err on the small rather than big size. With a men's/unisex frame, you may need to change the stem, the bars and of course the saddle.

Go sit on the bikes and test ride if at all possible

Jus had a look - Triban comes in a 54cm or a 57cm, no 56cm...couple of stores in lancs http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

Happy shopping :bicycle:

Kasio

Ok so I have just started out cylcing currently on a mountain bike which is not the best! I am wanting to buy a road bike, I am looking at Carrera virtuoso from halfords for £349 I will be covering round about 60-70km per week, is this a good bike for me to start out on? Any advice will be great. I am new to all this I have come from running to cylcing..
If you save around another £100, which very well may be worth it - you could be looking at a lovely road-hybrid cycle, just throwing out an idea :ph34r:

stephen.rooke

If you save around another £100, which very well may be worth it - you could be looking at a lovely road-hybrid cycle, just throwing out an idea :ph34r:

depends where your riding. i would hate having to use a hybrid to get to work every day

vickster

Legendary Member
I do... only about 5 miles each way :smile: As do many others...fast hybrid however, no suspension, carbon forks, roads around here are shocking, even the main ones

Considering a roadbike though if can find one that takes guards & rack, has the right gearing (min Tiagra) and is the right price...two wheeled holy grail :bicycle:

I do however have a carbon roadbike for the weekend when it's dry and an MTB for rougher stuff and mud :whistle:

stephen.rooke

i have pretty decent roads. just like the speed of a road bike and the riding position. my problem is im always rifing as fast as i can, trying to get to work in under 20mins, down to 20:52 so far (7 mile journey) averaging 19.8mph, ill hit the 20mph oneday lol

Sandra6

Veteran
Yes I have seen that, it's between a triban, C virtuoso and C tdf what's the difference except price between them all?
The tdf is yellow?!
Tbh there won't be much difference between the two carreras, they're just pushing the yellow one on the back of the TdeF.
I can't comment on the triban though. Which is your local halfords? Depends where it is and who is working there as to the advice you get.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Triban 5 has a better groupset than the Bianchi (Sora vs 2300), both have a carbon fork to dampen road buzz

The Felt is a lot more money at £800 (unless you are happy buying unseen from Germany), and plays in a different league to the Bianchi - appears to have 105 on the rear which is several levels beyond the others

Cubist

Still wavin'
I shall! Important accessories? Travel first aid kit Helmet water bottle and cage! Have I covered all important accessories
Tilly, if you can get to a Decathlon, then do so. The stores are a real experience, with knowledgable, friendly staff. You'll find all the kit you need at good prices all under one roof. You'll come away wit the right bike, and sensible accessories at good prices.

Andrius.B

Usually, bikes from halfords (carrera and cboardman) and the triban family are better value for the money as long as you are buying under £1000. As you start going up from there, start considering other brands.
So in short, if I was bying a road bike under 1 grand, I would go for one of the above mentioned brands, if I had exactly 1 grand, I would get the Giant Defy 1, if I had way more, I would start looking at the other brands.

Top Bottom