Beginner - not cycled for nearly 10 years!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's the way. Get right back out there, and enjoy yourself. I was away from cycling for 15 years and got back into it 10 years ago. A fine sport, the one sport I know of that actually relieves stress. Good to have more folks getting involved in it.

Yorksman

I hadn't ridden for 35 years or so and had health related balance problems without even getting on a bike. Avoiding things like pedal clips and cars on roads, it took me a few goes on cycleways before I felt really comfortable. I started making adjustments to the bike, using extra wide pedals for example, different types of handlebar and saddle and now am thoroughly enjoying it.

I still avoid the cars, choose routes with short and not very steep hills and put the bike on a rack and take it by car to somewhere nice so I can just ride for pleasure. Doing it just for the fun of doing it. Don't forget to have fun.

OP
OP
sionhughes

sionhughes

Just come back from my first ride. Tracked with strava and managed 2.9 miles in 18 mins. Not great but wind was terrible, worse than thought as i set out but wasn't turning back. Stopped twice for a short breather. Enjoyed it but got a long way to go before i can do my 10 mile commute easily.

The Crixus felt a little wobbly probably due to my first time on a 700c tyre, litttle nervous on cornering. Gear changes feel a little clunky so shall raise with halfords but I'll let it settle in first.

Might do another 3 miles tomorrow depends how weather is.

13 rider

Guru
Well done for getting out in the wind ,its really slows progress. You my find gears gets easier when you get more In tune with the bike and change at the right moment hard to explain you just get used to the bike.When I first came back to riding I had a few chain off moments and changing just didn't feel right after a few rides everything just clicked and now everything is fine. Don't me to worried about speed to start with fitness takes a bit off time just enjoy getting out

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The wobbliness will pass as you get used to the new bicycle. A few rides from now, you'll be more worried about going faster. The headwind may be making you go slower, hence more wobbliness as well. I know it can be like that in my case .

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Just come back from my first ride. Tracked with strava and managed 2.9 miles in 18 mins. Not great but wind was terrible, worse than thought as i set out but wasn't turning back. Stopped twice for a short breather. Enjoyed it but got a long way to go before i can do my 10 mile commute easily.

The Crixus felt a little wobbly probably due to my first time on a 700c tyre, litttle nervous on cornering. Gear changes feel a little clunky so shall raise with halfords but I'll let it settle in first.

Might do another 3 miles tomorrow depends how weather is.
Yes well done for getting out there it's too windy for me.

Yorksman

Don't underestimate how hard wind makes cycling, and especially these winds that we are currently experiencing. I am told a 20mph headwind is like cycling up a 4% hill, based on a nominal 5mph wind = 1% hill. 10 out of 10 for having a go but, don't be down about it, you have chosen a tough time.

Yorksman

Stopped twice for a short breather.

Nowt wrong in stopping for a breather - or even 20 winks.

fahrrad-urlaub-lueneburger-heide02.jpg

runner

Guru
I'll second the wind....coming home on Friday night my bike appeared to have turned into a bucking bronco!! I couldn't keep the damn thing in a straight line as everytime I came to a road junction the cross winds got me...much better this evening. Having said that the amount of times we as cyclists get caught in really bad weather is minimal and weather conditions do very little to dampen my enthusiasm of the two wheeled wonder ^_^

Brand X

Thanks everyone for the welcome messages.

Day 1 with the bike didn't go as expected. Had a ride in the cul de sac and found the seat was loose (moved back/forward and tilted) so went home to tighten. Decided to remove the silly straps and plastic bits designed to go over the feet on the pedals, three screws on each pedal, 5 screws came out fine, 6th wouldn't budge, ended up rounding the head on cycle tool and allen key from set.

Learnt one lesson tonight, seriously dislike the silly strappy pedals.

http://dirtmountainbike.com/features/the-15-worst-mountain-bike-products-ever.html/13
I am of the opinion they suck off-road or on.

Brand X

Halfords (Halfrauds) is extremely hit and miss for me, I bought my bike from them but after witnessing how the serviced my bike I decided to take it to an independent and local store, they're really grateful for the custom and don't push products on you with commission the main reason.

I hate those silly caged pedals too, but riding clipped in is not for me either. Just got some quite small road pedals.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cycling :smile:

I agree Halfords are not to be trusted when it comes to servicing. Unless you have met the individual mechanic or know someone who recommends him, you just never know if you're getting a competent bicycle mechanic or a useless bum.
But Halfords are definitely worth a look for cheap bikes, even their cheapo own-brand range have gotten a lot better over the last three or four years, and i just bought a 2014 Boardman Sport in the weekend-special sale, £380 reduced to £329.

Swill

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the new bike!
One thing I wish I'd learnt when earlier on was to spin more and not push on the pedals so much - use and easier gear than you might think.
20 miles round trip is a fair distance to start of with, leave enough time as going against the clock will make you try harder to early on in the ride and you'll not enjoy it as much.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome. Just take it gently to begin with. Don't regard being on your bike as some kind of duty or chore. Ride it a little and often and you will gradually get better at it, and want to do it more and more and more. Most of all, have fun.

Brand X

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy the new bike!
One thing I wish I'd learnt when earlier on was to spin more and not push on the pedals so much - use and easier gear than you might think.
20 miles round trip is a fair distance to start of with, leave enough time as going against the clock will make you try harder to early on in the ride and you'll not enjoy it as much.

I've got to do some reading up on the subject to see how real cyclists do it, but something I only recently started noticing is that it seems to take almost as much effort to raise my thighs as it does to push the pedals - it's not just a down stroke, it's an up-stroke too.

Top Bottom