Beginner training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damianr

Regular
Hey,

I've been cycling for about 5 months now, so far this has consisted of commuting at a leisurely pace (27 mile round trip) 1-2 times a week, the odd weekend ride to escape from the missus and lots of crashes. Basically I've just been learning to ride a bike again.

I've just turned 28, until about a year and a half ago I was in reasonable shape and used to work out 3-4 times a week lifting weights at the gym. However I started a new job with longer hours and a longer commute and gradually lost my motivation.

I've found that I have a real thirst for cycling and I wanted to put a training plan together incorporating cycling and working out at the gym. Id quite like to incorporate some commuting into this. Also my gym has virtual myride+ which id like to use.

Im about 17 st and 6ft. I'm quite muscular and a bit fat!

My general goals are to get leaner, fitter and become a better cyclist. All my training previously has been based around building muscle.

I want to get a training and diet plan together and set specific short and long term goals.

I'm a little overwhelmed with all of the information online and I don't really know where to start.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Damian

screenman

Legendary Member
When I started back I used the Mathetone method for 3 months,combined with not eating rubbish and consuming less calories each day than I needed.

I would say a weight loss of 4 stone would make you a better cyclist, even if you retained the same fitness level as now.

Of course this may not be what you want to hear, but you did ask.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you stop using muscles they will fade away. The trick is in shaping your muscles to suit your chosen sport.

Top Bottom