Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnmillie

Hi

I have just joined the community and am looking at buying a new bike, i have been looking at the GT XC1 and XC2, and would like a bit of advice on what the benefit of spending the extra money on the XC1 would be. Also I will be using it mainly on the road so would swopping the tyre to smooth road tyre be a benefit.

If your using it mainly on road, IMO you'd be better going for something more suited to the road like a hybrid or a road bike.

OP
OP
J

johnmillie

Ok I was looking to use it at weekends to off the road, but there is so much to choose from im really unsure, also most bikes iv looked at seam to be 2009 models, when do the 2010 models come out

Welcome to the forum btw.

Unless you are regularly going off road with lots of jumping, a dedicated mtb is not worth it IMO there's plenty of mtb type hybrids out there another good option is a cyclocross bike.

I believe the 2011 bike will start appearing around September/ October.

OP
OP
J

johnmillie

Thanks for the advice, I bought a Carrera vulcan a couple of years ago and still have that sitting in the garage, I think I bought that to quickly and found it difficult to ride around the town but have been looking into what a should getthis time when I found here, would changing its tyres make it better

OP
OP
J

johnmillie

Sorry to keep bothering you but is the same possible if I were to buy a hybird and swop the tyres to go off road

Bman

Guru
Not disagreeing with HLaB, but GT do make a nice bike! A colleague has a XC1, I have the XCR

Check my sig ;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
johnmillie said:
So is the XC1 worth the £140 more than the XC2, whats the diffrences

The main differences are in the fork, a Marzocchi on the XC1 and a modest Suntour on the XC2. The brakes are also different, with entry level Tektro Auriga on the XC2 and Avid Juicy 3 on the XC1.

If you don't ride regularly off road, then the forks make no difference, as you want them locked and rigid on road. Brakes won't make much difference on road either.

My advice would be that if you don't want it for weekend bridleway-bashing, then get a road orientated hybrid, or even a roadbike.

That Vulcan you have in the shed/garage will do for some recreational riding. It's upgradable, so could benefit from new forks. It will probably benefit from being brought back to life in terms of gear and brake cables.To fair they weren't bad bikes for what they are, but they were mis-sold! They are not particularly commute friendly.

Cyclist33

Johnmillie, I'm a bit concerned as most of the advice you've had is not to get a front suspension bike as you won't need the forks and the extra weight will let you down. You still seem set on the GT though.

Halfords do this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_512531_langId_-1_categoryId_231001

and this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_512505_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Basically the GT mountain bike frame with hybrid wheels and a stiff front. It's a great bike, I kinda wish I'd got one instead of my Avalanche.

It depends on your budget basically but don't forget you can always add suspension later if you ever feel like you really need it.

Cyc

OP
OP
J

johnmillie

Thanks they look perfect, 1 of the reasons I was looking at the xc bikes was they have the locking suspension but these bike are perfect

Thanks for the help

OP
OP
J

johnmillie

Iv sent away for my cycle to work voucher to get the bike you sent me the link to, in the mean time would I be able to fit 26x1.85 road tyre to my current bike which has 26x2.10 mountain bike tyres just now

Top Bottom