Beginnerish bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamie678

Regular
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on what bike I should get. I signed up to do the ride london 100 mile bike race and luckily got a place. My issue now is I lack a bike that is suitable to cycle it....

I want to get a road bike but my budget is quite low at £250. I imagine at that price my best bet would be used bikes? Anyone got any tips at what I should be looking at? I noticed the Carrera Crixus II Limited edition Cyclocross 2015 in halfords thats £250, anyone got thoughts on the suitability of that?
Thanks for any help!

HorTs

Über Member
I've been looking for a friend of mine and it is still hard to beat the value of the B'TWIN range at Decathlon if you want something new.

The Triban 300 is a little over your budget (£30) - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-300-road-bike-white-id_8239800.html

The Triban 500 SE is £80 over budget but worth the extra in my opinion - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

Its hard to recommend particular 2nd hand bikes as they'd all need assessing on a case by case basis. You could try and find a 2nd hand red Triban 300 as these were always well reviewed and excellent value.

vickster

Legendary Member
The decathlon 500 is a good shout, save up the extra through Feb while it's :cold: and come we we weather in March you'll be ready to start training. Some better tyres (and wheels if funds permit) and it's a bike that will serve you well for the ride and beyond :bicycle:

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
Thanks for the replies! Seeing as it is Britain so i wont get outside the gym much over February, i'll probably see what pops up over the next month used wise in my area. I live in Surrey so prime area to practice on the hills! Essex is a bit out of my way though unfortunately otherwise I probably would have been all over that. But i'll keep my eyes open

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to decathlon in Croydon and see their offerings :smile: as a newbie wanting to climb hills, that defy would be perfect with its triple. Ask where he is in Essex, could well be a London commuter too

OP
OP
J

jamie678

Regular
Thats a good point, however as a new member I think I have to wait a few days till I have the rights to post in that area, but i'll keep my eye on that post for sure

Saluki

World class procrastinator
+1 on getting in touch regarding that Defy. It's a gazillion times better than the Crixus and will last for ages and ages.
I'm 5'7" and rode a medium Defy and I would probably have been ok if I had been a couple of inches shorter or an inch or so taller. Great bikes and totally worth a trip into another county.

I drove from Norwich to Hackney for my CX bike, just before Christmas. Totally worth the extra miles.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes probably need a m/l or l, but you won't know until you try

Decathlon let you ride the bikes around the store

Where in Surrey are you?

Top Bottom