Beginners 2013 goals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
Good thread DaveyM,

I think a lot of us have stated our 2013 goals but nice to have them down in one dedicated thread.

For me there are several.

1. 3000 miles cycling

2. 400 miles running

3 10 climbs from either of simon warrens greatest cycling climbs books.(an area I also need to work on)

4. Get my weight down by about a stone to 13st (this should help with the others, especially goal 3)

5. To stay safe and keep injury free

Just a brief update on my 2013 goals,after today's ride have now a accomplished most of them.
http://app.strava.com/activities/84388650
I climbed Holme Moss today (classic climb by the was, none of it was silly steep but went on and on with amazing views) This now brings my total of greatest climbs to 10.

I passed the 3000 mile mark last week

Also hit my 13st target on the scales today (perhaps a little dehydrated after my ride but I'm counting it)

Only the running one to go and to be honest not sure I will make it, 400 miles in a year seems very little but had to take it steady at the start and have been playing catch up ever since.

OP
OP
DaveyM

DaveyM

Über Member
Just a brief update on my 2013 goals,after today's ride have now a accomplished most of them.
http://app.strava.com/activities/84388650
I climbed Holme Moss today (classic climb by the was, none of it was silly steep but went on and on with amazing views) This now brings my total of greatest climbs to 10.

I passed the 3000 mile mark last week

Also hit my 13st target on the scales today (perhaps a little dehydrated after my ride but I'm counting it)

Only the running one to go and to be honest not sure I will make it, 400 miles in a year seems very little but had to take it steady at the start and have been playing catch up ever since.

You have, in a short time, really changed your life mate...well done :bravo:

OP
OP
DaveyM

DaveyM

Über Member
I know that there is a thread for 2013 goals.

But for us that are just new to cycling what are people aiming for this year.

I have reset my cycling log and aim to do 1800 miles this year, I am also aiming to do a couple of sportives. The Great North Bike Ride and the Cycleone (middle distance).

I would also like to loose a bit more weight 10kg by next Christmas.

Does anyone else have any goals for this year and we'll do a half year review in JUNE to see where we are.

Good luck to you all in your goals for 2013 :thumbsup:

I have also completed all my own goals already, anything else is a great bonus :becool:

I have attained my avg of 15mph+ (this is going up toward 16mph), I have done the 6,000 miles I set, and if I can do another 2276 miles I will attain my revised total. if I can knock 1200 miles (or there abouts) off that by the end of Oct I should manage it, I am on target but it will be weather dependent toward the end of the year.
8890 is not the revised total just a number to make it up to the target.

SWSteve

Guru
I set a goal of 3k miles, thinking I would never make it...I almost have with 3 whole months left.
I set of a thousand miles by the end of this month thinking 'I'll never make that'...I have.
Something tells me 2014's goals will be ACTUALLY do a Tri, don't just talk about it, and enter some TTs. That would be more fun than just pumping out miles. However chasing miles seems to be working well.

note: I haven't set these goals and then chased them down, I've just gone about my normal riding for them

@ItsSteveLovell Thats what I thought when I set 6,000 for the year having done 3,000 in my first 6 months riding, thinking it was doable but not likely, considering how I felt at the end of Dec, but like you Steve I have just ridden, and the miles just kept increasing as has the speed, as you may remember back in Feb and March I was struggling doing 13+mph. And whilst I still struggle being out a a long time and actually getting out, I am more comfortable on the bike I can push longer gears longer at a higher cadence, and I enjoy just ridding, not to mention that my body can respond better to the demands I ask of it.

RWright

Guru
I am going to try and keep my goals for 2013 simple: 40 lbs. and 4000 miles....now if I can just figure out how to change the goal on the mycyclinglog widget thing ;)

Had my two goals accomplished by about the end of August. I have also flossed my teeth every night this year. My dental hygienist was impressed with the last one. :biggrin: She made me little nervous when I jokingly said should I get a football mouth protector for when I ride my mountain bike and she replied immediately with a very loud and emphatic YES ! She was joking too....I think, she can be pretty amusing sometimes while she is torturing me.

I am just going to keep doing what I have been doing for a while and adding in mountain biking and some very minor weight lifting, until the end of the year. I have a few goals in mind for next year but nothing in particular yet.

johnboyturbo

My aim is to lose abit of weight maybe a stone.

I would like to do London to Milton Keynes next year which is 55 miles

I have only been riding about 4 weeks and can seat in the Saddle for abit a hour at the mo which is about 19 miles....

My aim is to lose abit of weight maybe a stone.

I would like to do London to Milton Keynes next year which is 55 miles

I have only been riding about 4 weeks and can seat in the Saddle for abit a hour at the mo which is about 19 miles....
I wish I could do about 19mph after 16 months let only 4 weeks. Well done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom