Beginners 2013 goals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
really inspired reading this thread! Bike coming next week "specialized allez" through cycle to work scheme. Not sure what realistic goals to set. going to commute 24 mile round trip (should i build up to the 24 miles everyday or start slowly and build up to it?), and a long ride over the weekend perhaps! weight loss is definitely a goal! we'll see how it goes.
Congrats on the new bike :thumbsup: If you are new to cycling, I would say you would definitely need to build up gradually. Could you maybe try the commute on a weekend to start with just to see what the road conditions are like and how you feel and give yourself an idea of how long it will take. Once you do start to commute, maybe try just a couple of days to start with, then maybe Monday, Wednesday and Friday and eventually hopefully you will manage every day. If you go straight out and try it everyday before you are fit enough, you will probably struggle and not enjoy it.

Good Plan, think I'll give that a go! cant wait for bike to come like a kid before xmas. trying to get out on a morning 2 or 3 mornings a week on my 3 ton mtb, the circuit is 4 miles, be glad when my padded shorts come too..lol. I think the road bike is going to be a bit different to ride..

MaxInc

Good Plan, think I'll give that a go! cant wait for bike to come like a kid before xmas. trying to get out on a morning 2 or 3 mornings a week on my 3 ton mtb, the circuit is 4 miles, be glad when my padded shorts come too..lol. I think the road bike is going to be a bit different to ride..

It will be a lot lighter, faster but less stable than the MTB, quite a difference in feeling and handling but will eat miles so much easier overall. Like Mo said, take it gradually, if you can do comfortably 4 mles on the MTB you can probably do 6 or 7 on the road bike but jumping to a 24 mile trip could be challenging especially with on street hazzards. Take your time and enjoy the ride ;)

simmi

Über Member
Just a brief update on my 2013 progress so far as much for my own records as anything else.
Good thread DaveyM,

I think a lot of us have stated our 2013 goals but nice to have them down in one dedicated thread.

For me there are several.

1. 3000 miles cycling, 1392 done ahead of target

2. 400 miles running, 71 done well behind, need to step it up!

3 10 climbs from either of simon warrens greatest cycling climbs books.(an area I also need to work on) 5 done so going well

4. Get my weight down by about a stone to 13st (this should help with the others, especially goal 3)Weight now 13st 10lb doing OK but still a long way to go

5. To stay safe and keep injury free So far so good other than a slight achilles tendon problem that has disrupted my running
Overall not bad I need to beat those trails and pavements a bit more and be a little stricter with my diet.
I would give myself a solid C+, 7 out of 10

OP
OP
DaveyM

DaveyM

Über Member
Just a brief update on my 2013 progress so far as much for my own records as anything else.

Overall not bad I need to beat those trails and pavements a bit more and be a little stricter with my diet.
I would give myself a solid C+, 7 out of 10

Hey you are doing well and the summer is yet to come. ^_^

RedBullet

how does 50k plus 1000 metres of climing per week sound? that was my target in january and im averaging just above that now. i see others racking up far more mileage but im in buxton and surrounded by hills. i feel that although its low mileage its 50k of quality strong riding. anyone any thoughts

sheffgirl

I have very almost completed my 500 mile goal I set myself, less than 2 miles to go, and I should clock those up tomorrow on my way to work :girldance:
My next goal (apart from conquering that goddamn hill) is to cycle further than I have before in one day. My PB is 24 miles, not very ambitious I know, but I'm getting better :smile:

I have very almost completed my 500 mile goal I set myself, less than 2 miles to go, and I should clock those up tomorrow on my way to work :girldance:
My next goal (apart from conquering that goddamn hill) is to cycle further than I have before in one day. My PB is 24 miles, not very ambitious I know, but I'm getting better :smile:
I just takes time, and 500 miles is no mean feat either.

AndyPeace

Yes. It tends to happen after a few miles. Last week after 40 miles my heart rate jumped to 215. At the time it worried me. It happened a few times today from about 20 miles on. I stopped, wiped the sensor and put it back on and it was normal again.

Most of the time (71%) of today my HR was in moderate (below 141). At least now I know I'm not having a heart attack.

I used to get lots of jumps with my Heart Rate sensor. Since using home-made anti-static spray it has stopped happening. The spray is made up of watered down fabric softner, which I lightly spray on the inside of my top. After that I just put the heart rate monitor on dry and it records reliably.

Well I set myself a goal of 6,000 miles I am almost 2/3 through that, if I put the effort in this weekend I could pass 4,000 miles, I have just tonight passed 7,000miles since I started last June (23rd). I do have a revised total for the year, but I am lagging some way behind that at the mo.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Supersuperleeds said:
Aiming for 4,000 miles, which hopefully will be covered by commuting.

Lose some weight, need to lose a couple of stone.

Buy a road bike, only doing this when I have lost the weight.​
I'm over half way on the mileage, lost just over a stone so far and bought the road bike.

I have added a new goal which is to do 1000 miles in a month - may get that this week, depends on the weather.

Half way through the year update.

Blitzed the 4,000 miles, new target is now 10,000 miles :wacko:

Weight loss is now I think a stone and half this year (might be two, can't remembered what I weighed beginning of year, but it is 2 and half stone since last August.)

Did the 1,000 mile month, this month is the fourth consecutive month of achieving 1,000 miles

Did a 100 mile solo ride last week which was a pipe dream at beginning of the year and was to be a target for 2014.

Top Bottom