Beginners 2013 goals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
My only goals I have left for my beginner year are to cycle to work and back ( 22 miles ew) which I have done just not on a work day, and now I am trying to get my friends to start cycling given how much I am enjoying it. Anything else I do is a bonus

John-Ellis

My goal is to

Do two big rides from my home in sheffield to the east coast

Do the coast to coast ride

Do a couple of rides for charity

Enjoy my bike.

MaxInc

At this stage things are changing too quickly to be setting any realistinc goals. I though doing 100km a week would be a nice thing to achive but that happened after two weeks and I feel like I could have done more, so scrap that.

My goal would be to stick with cycling as the sport of choice and make sure I get enough of it to keep me strong and healthy and hopefully never have to worry about my weight again :smile:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Well I met my goal. Completed my first 100km. I actually did 66 miles but didn't restart my Garmin after a short stop. I only noticed when it turned itself off.

I'm not feeling too bad. I got the food and hydration right today. 13 weeks to the London 100. For the first time I'm confident that I will do it. I need to shift a couple of stone. Still just over 21 st. I may focus on more shorter faster rides for a couple of weeks and cut own on portion size. I may be overcompensating on the weekend 50+ mile rides.

Very happy with my progress though. Average heart rate below 140 and cadence around 80 over 5 hrs. Even with some dodgy HRM readings. It frequently increases but once I take the strap off and put it back on it goes back to normal.

http://app.strava.com/activities/52479056

At this stage things are changing too quickly to be setting any realistinc goals. I though doing 100km a week would be a nice thing to achive but that happened after two weeks and I feel like I could have done more, so scrap that.

My goal would be to stick with cycling as the sport of choice and make sure I get enough of it to keep me strong and healthy and hopefully never have to worry about my weight again :smile:
I never did worry about my weight, till now at the current rate according to calories used (take with a pinch of salt), I am losing 2 3/4 lb a week, diet and everything else the same, (which really hasn't varied very much).
Last time I weighed myself I was 12 1/2 st in early Feb, so anything upto 2 stone since then, probably more like 1/2, though I do look like I may have lost more.

Well I met my goal. Completed my first 100km. I actually did 66 miles but didn't restart my Garmin after a short stop. I only noticed when it turned itself off.

I'm not feeling too bad. I got the food and hydration right today. 13 weeks to the London 100. For the first time I'm confident that I will do it. I need to shift a couple of stone. Still just over 21 st. I may focus on more shorter faster rides for a couple of weeks and cut own on portion size. I may be overcompensating on the weekend 50+ mile rides.

Very happy with my progress though. Average heart rate below 140 and cadence around 80 over 5 hrs. Even with some dodgy HRM readings. It frequently increases but once I take the strap off and put it back on it goes back to normal.

http://app.strava.com/activities/52479056
I take it you damp the sensors first.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I take it you damp the sensors first.
Yes. It tends to happen after a few miles. Last week after 40 miles my heart rate jumped to 215. At the time it worried me. It happened a few times today from about 20 miles on. I stopped, wiped the sensor and put it back on and it was normal again.

Most of the time (71%) of today my HR was in moderate (below 141). At least now I know I'm not having a heart attack.

Yes. It tends to happen after a few miles. Last week after 40 miles my heart rate jumped to 215. At the time it worried me. It happened a few times today from about 20 miles on. I stopped, wiped the sensor and put it back on and it was normal again.

Most of the time (71%) of today my HR was in moderate (below 141). At least now I know I'm not having a heart attack.
I had a few spikes this last week, I dont correct it for strava can't be bothered, but I do for my own data. I started getting odd readings with the sp/cad sensor, and replaced the battery it seems fine now, maybe its the same thing, as I got both sensors for xmas.

really inspired reading this thread! Bike coming next week "specialized allez" through cycle to work scheme. Not sure what realistic goals to set. going to commute 24 mile round trip (should i build up to the 24 miles everyday or start slowly and build up to it?), and a long ride over the weekend perhaps! weight loss is definitely a goal! we'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom