Beginners Cycling Goals

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gruff Eddie, 22 Jul 2012.

1. Hi there

I was wondering what cycling goals there are for newbies?

I've done quite a bit of running, so am thinking in running terms and distances at the moment, e.g. 5km, 10km, half marathon, marathon, etc.

I've now cycled a 20 miler, and am wondering what I should be aiming for next? I'm about to run out of running distances!

2. Andrius.B

Andrius.B Active Member

You could do 50 miles next. Then maybe 60 miles (metric century), then 100 miles.

Then just ride.

3. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

Bit of a jump from 20 to 50 miles :ohmy: OP: How did you feel after the 20 miles? Dead or reasonably fresh?

4. Nigelnaturist

Nigelnaturist Guru

I would do a few 20 miler's then try 30 if up to it.
    Its what I have been doing, avg speed going up too but its still no great speed, just enjoy being out, and it being relatively cheap.

5. TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD Veteran

Work your self up to 50-60 miles relatively easy then work on faster pace 20s, ten look for a Duathlon in you area - run, bike, run.

6. OP
    OP
    Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie Regular

I felt OK after the 20. It took 1:13.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/201432002

I've ran a marathon and a few halfs, so am used to training for decent chunks of time.

I think I'll go for a 30 next.

I think I will be on the lookout for a short distance duathlon next year.

7. Peteaud

Peteaud Veteran

Work your way up, but enjoy it, 20 miles or 80 miles make no difference, just get out and ride

Gruff Eddie likes this.
  8. Nigelnaturist

Nigelnaturist Guru

Well your quicker than me, I managed 13.66mph over 26.5m today.mostly flat apart from the last 5 mile climb though thats not a great height.
    Mind I did notice your max sp being 3,120.8mph.

Gruff Eddie likes this.
  9. Smoggie_87

Smoggie_87 Active Member

Slipstreaming behind a rocket?

Gruff Eddie and Nigelnaturist like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie Regular

The speed it out by 2 decimal places. If I upload onto Endomdo, it's fine.

11. Nigelnaturist

Nigelnaturist Guru

It'd not the first I have seen with such an error, must be a conversion problem, I dont know enough about the hard ware stuff.

I have an 8 function Halfords comp, thats over 4 years old, and records max, avg, distance, I then uses gpsies for altitude data, and to see how difficult the ride is compared to my others.

This was todays ride http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=cotbnsgjkglgmkvj, ignore the speed on there, I averaged 13.6mph

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice